Do these new mowers have too much HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

It seems engines are getting bigger by the year. I remember 11hp honda's on 48's and cut great, then 12.5 's than 14 kaw and now I'm seeing 25 hp on 52in walkbehihind's. Point being my 60in Turf Tracer blew a rocker arm and my guy cut almost all day on 1 cylinder (11hp) he said it cut thick grass and crabgrass all day no problem(he said the motor started sounding funny at 10:00am). The lawns looked good and this got me thinking are we as bad as my customers who need an 8 or 10cyl. to run to Shop Rite and transport milk and bread?

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i can see more power for a ride on, like a Z, or if you're going to be pulling a sulky.
    American themselves are getting bigger every year, the motor industry has to keep up!

but its all about being bigger and better then the year before. my 12.5 kawi on my 48" bobcat cuts down crap you'd be amazed!

3. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

I remember the 11 horsies bogging down long before what the newer 25 ponies do. More power more speed more money.

4. fga

....more gas. more money to fix. more money to buy.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Charlie,
    Good point on the H.P. The new "bigger" mowers just give us another excuse to buy them.
    Happy Mowing

6. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Yep, it's an American thing. The Japanese have been doing more with less for years (i.e. Toyota). I'm sure some psychologist would say that it has something to do with insecurity - whatever... I do love the big machines with the big horses!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Somewhere along the line there is a breakeven point where all that extra hp is just that...extra. You ain't using it and it is costing you money in initial purchase price, maintenance, and then replacement cost.

I think it is just something the manufacturers are craming down our throats. Me thinks money would be better spent on R&D with different baffling systems or hydros to make the mowers "better".

just my 2 cents...

8. fga

like the redmax 8000?? i'm still using my eb430 everyday, and i don't have 1 complaint.

9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm loving every bit of the 28hp!

It dosn't use any more fuel than my 25hp did last year. Pluss those extra hp's keep the blades spinning faster longer, so you don't have to slow down and then loose money because of the rain.

10. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

On my WB i have a 14 kawi pulling me on the Velke and now a chain kit weighing in at probly 40lbs it's self. The only time it will bog down a bit is going up a step incline but if I just hop off it won't but I hop off any way to keep the front end down. How is more HP going to make the blades spin faster? Isn't all in the ratio of the pullys?