Do these trees have a chance??????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jonspolaris, May 25, 2001.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

our neighbors just got 4 austrian pines transplanted onto there lawn. the trees are 6"-8" in caliper.

the company that moved them did NOT overdig the holes that the treespade made. there is no mulch on them, they are not staked and they have not been watered.

is overdiging necessary when using a treespade?? the soil is Black dirt for the first 8-10" and its sand and clay mix after that.
    were located in southeast michigan.

do these trees have a chance at surviving ???

i give them 1 month before there dead.

any opnions would be appreciated.

2. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Down here we don't over dig them. We do fill around them with sand to work out air entrapment. Then water them. Generally we don't stake a "spade tree" unless it's a huge one.
    David

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

How tall are the Pines????
    A chance, sure they'll make it at this time of year how much water do pines need??

Not watered? When we ran a tree spade we had water on the truck (200 gallons) we watered them as we planted them.

Over digging with a tree spade????????
    How big was the spade, a 6" trunk on a pine is only a 10' tall tree here you could move that with a 44" spade, most guys won't put a 44" spade on the road, 55" is the smallest here. we ran a 65"

4. jonspolaris

thanks,

the trees are farly large, like 12'-15'tall, I dont know the size of the tree spade but it was pretty large. the truck it was mounted on was a Tandem axel GMC brigader.

i was told that when the spade is forced into the ground to make new hole it "glazes" the side of the hole. i was told that you are sposta overdig the hole to allow the roots to expand to soil that hasent been "glazed".

has anyone eles herd of this??

these trees are not small and i would hate to see them dry up.

jon

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I don't think you are going to have a problem, a tree spade that big 80" will have no problem with them, now if they where collected trees (never root pruned) you might have a problem. Your soils are great for growing pines, sandy soils even if mixed with clay make a good hole and there is little need for over digging.

6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

In my area we have mostly blue clay soil, this is not good for any type of pines. I have seen a large number of Pinus nigra and Pinus sylvestris die due to needle cast, I am almost certain it is cultural.

I try to avoid planting pines in this area, simply the wrong soil. If the customer insists on pines then I usually include verticle mulching in the price.

If they are planted in well drained soils then they will probably be ok. If they are planted in heavy clay, without vertical mulching, then they stand little chance. Needle Cast or other pests will wipe out a overstressed pine in a hurry.

Jim L

7. jonspolaris

they did not root prune or top prune the trees before they moved them. they just "plucked" them with the tree spade and droped them in the new holes.

in some areas around the trees u can see that the dripline of the tree is larger than the root-ball, this is because the spade cut off the rest of the roots.

is this a problem??

thanks

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

In asking if the pines where root pruned, did they come from a nursery? or where they collected from some field where they were growning wild? Some of us move a lot of trees and the ball can't be as big as the drip line, some tres we move are 12' wide there is no way to move a 12' ball with out some very special equipment. We never prune our pines unless they are in candle then we cut the candles back.

9. jonspolaris

the trees did not come from a nurshery. the neighbor got them from another neighbor that wanted to get rid of them. they were just "plucked" from his property and then droped in the holes in the new location.

the trees look like there in candle right now.

jon

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Still shouldn't be too much of a problem, you've been getting rain?