Do They? Or Don't They?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, May 26, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Over the past couple of years I have seen several threads on mower blade replacement and some folks claim that they actually change the blades on their mowers everyday while still out in the field and between X number of lawns to make certain that they have "sharp" blades on all the day long.

These guys weren't talking about replacing a damaged blade out in the field like we have all probably had to do. No, they were talking about changing them in the field just "because". Now I am am not calling any member out on this and I don't even recall any certain member on here by user name that claimed that, only that several did. So today I saw another LCO at a local bank (we were both making deposits :payup: :laugh: ), that is also a member here on LS. We were just talking in general about business and LS came up and in talking about LS I for some unknown reason thought about these blade changing posts.......we both had a good laugh :laugh: over it because we were both automatically on the same page on what we thought about these claims of changing blades between x number of jobs out in the field.

I figure that these claims are either A, B or C because I KNOW that we cannot slow down to change blades several times a day for any reason other than a severely damaged one, and esp not for just "because".....shoot we are so slammed we are lucky to get them changed more than once a week! :eek:

So I figure:

A) IF these claims are true of "field changing blades to keepem' sharp" then these LCO must not have a full daily schedule and enough accts to keep them really busy.

B) These claims are BS.

C) Bigfoot comes out of the woods and helps them change the blades cause he likes to see nothing but sharp blades on the old mower at all times.

What do youse guys think? :laugh:

2. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Good One:laugh:

I see no reason unless there is severe nick, bent or there just plain damaged. We have never had to change one in the field. I see no reason to change every certain number of lawns. Unless customer says "Your blades are dull change them!!" Not that is ever happens I bet. Bobby Gedd might have that in his contract a charge for changing blades!! Just kidding. Maybe Big Foot could be on there crew... I'll go with C

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would go with C. I know that there is no way that we would have time to change the blades out in the field unless absolutely necessary. To be honest with you I feel that the blades do great for a few days, unless they are damaged for some reason. In addition, I would not want our guys standing around while one or two changes blades. That is a whole lot of labor for not much additional benefit. This is JMO.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Every 5-8 hours or until fairly dull for me. If others want to change them every 6 lawns exactly then good for them.

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We have spent over $1,000 on mower blades this year for Honda 21" mowers. They are changed every day. All five sets for each mower are sharpened at the same time on our Magna Matic blade sharpener.

We bought a knock off brand for $7 ea and they are now bending and chipping so this week we ordered Honda OEM blades for $11 ea which are much thicker.

Every time we try to do something cheap we end up buying the cheap solution, figuring out it doesn't work and then we buy the expensive solution too.

You think I would learn to just pay for the expensive solution the first time around but I guess I am a slow learner.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I'm a newb to professional lawn care and I always thought it was a little crazy as well. Thanks MM

7. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Do you have a lot of small gated back yards? If not how much use does it get?

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I sharpen my at the end of the day, usually 8-10 mower hours. For me, it's easier to sharpen them when they still have a decent edge.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree and thats what I do also, but my hours are somewhere between 3 and 5 most days

wayne

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

About once a month.

Hey, if you're cutting grass, that's a plenty.