Do thicker blades cut better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, May 27, 2006.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

2. It seems to me the thinner blades cut a little better. The thicker ones last longer.
    The small amount of extra weight shouldn't be of any concern.
    I did have a case once where I put too thin of blades on too big of a mower. At speed the blades would distort where the blade tips would raise up enough to scrape the deck! They were OK when spun by hand, but at speed the tips would raise up an inch or so until they hit the deck!
    I had to go back to OEM specs for blades for that mower.

What thickness blade does your mower call for?

3. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Just looked up on the manual and it only said part #481706 and 16.5" long, but not thickness of the blade.

4. Mow-More Landscaper Supply says that blade is .204" thick.

But the slightly thicker blade will be OK for your machine. They sell it as the Scag heavy duty blade.

I'd think the thicker blade would be better. I've had trouble with those gator type blades with the notched foil bending at the first notch. So I always get the heavy duty blade in that style.

5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell us more about this?
    It seems odd that they would flex upwards, seems that they should be pulled down because of the little foil that creates the lift and airflow. :confused:

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I'm thinking.

7. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Does anybody has anymore useful info?

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I personally feel that thicker, and wider blades cut the best, at least for me.

9. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm pretty sure the standard SCAG high lifts are 0.25 inch. I would stick with SCAG blades - I've not had good results with the Gators on my Tiger Cub - they cut but not nearly as well as the high lifts or even the SCAG mulching blades. I've heard those Express T4 mulchers are not as hard as Gators and thus don't hold an edge very long - I have a set but have never tried them for an extended period of time.

10. That's what logic would indicate they'd do. But they flexed the other way. You could see where they hit the deck. Maybe it had something to do with the torque that machine had. It was a Howard Price HP 180. It had a Perkins diesel engine and a 15 foot wide cut. Those blades would howl at full RPM. I think blade tip speed was just barely subsonic.:rolleyes: Today the HP 180 has a Cummins diesel like they put in the Dodge pickups.
    It took a big John Deere blade, 24" long and .310" thick. I was trying something lighter. Didn't work.