1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do trimmer rack do more harm than good

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Oct 29, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

2. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I know you see tons of companies using trimmer racks. I'm sure some are better than others. I bought a set from tractor supply. My first one years ago and put them on a small trailer. The weight of the motor actually broke the shaft. I'm sure it was because it was a Husqvarna homeowner weedeater with that long plastic piece near the trigger. However, I put eight foot tool boxes on my truck which allowed me to keep my weedeaters out of the weather.
  3. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ive been thinking about that rack as well, but have held off because some complain about broken shafts on their trimmers from the stress of the power heads bouncing. I think I read somewhere that you can get an engine support for that type of rack, which eliminates the stress on the shaft. That may help with the trimmers bouncing, but may not prevent the actual trimmer rack from bouncing around.
  4. 123hotdog

I now use an Isuzu NPR dovetail truck but when I use to use a pickup truck and trailer, I put a camper top on my truck to solve this problem and this also kept my weedeaters out of the weather.
  5. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

If it's on a trailer it could be the tires or the wheels...
  6. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about buying a set of trimmer racks in order to save time and space. I just kept looking at other companys that used them and their equipment look so much older. I will just stick with my little truck with a topper. I store 2 trimmers, 1 hand blower, 1 backpack blower and my combo unit inside and they look like new.
  7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The cheap rake we had allowed trimmers to spin. We would get to the site and find triggers broke and such. Bought the extreme and it stopped the spinning but did have a shaft snap. We just set them in the bed of the truck now
  8. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Do yourself a favor and buy from the source and save money.
    Be sure to buy the engine supports too, cuts down on vibration.
    I have the 3 trimmer set up, I have no issues, one of my trimmers is a 1998 model redmax..... going into its 3rd summer on this rack..... no issues.
    Another is a 2011 echo, going into its 3rd season.
    The last one is a 2012 echo.

9. 123hotdog

My trimmers were kept the same way and every year after I scrub down the shafts, they still look new. I never painted a weed eater housing.
  10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Nice that they added the option of the engine support.