Do Trimmer Straps Help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willjones4, Mar 18, 2008.

1. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

My back hurts from using my trimmer and edger. Do the straps help at all?

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Yes. I have back problem and weed wacking always hurt my back because I always have to turn a little to the side and bend down a little. When I bought my Honda HHT31SUNBA, because I want the older GX31 push rod engine and the only one the dealer had was a bike handle trimmer. I bought it. I use the full harness that came with the trimmer, it is so comfortable it is incredible!!!! I can do continuous trimming for two hours non stop without feeling anything. I don't even feel the weight, my trimmer weight 15.6lb.!!! I am sure the half harness will help you.

3. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

Never really liked them. Thank god I've got a strong back, those Sthils can get a little heavy after awhile. :usflag:

4. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

When you become an old man, and after you've been breaking your back in this business for many years; you will then understand why straps were so essential.

Just like guys that remove the debris sheilds from their trimmers??? :hammerhead: Ask them about the quality of their eye sight by the time they turn age 50.

5. yungman

from Calif.

Amen!!! If you don't have a back problem, keep it that way, use the strap. Back problem is not cause by one wrong move, one pull. It is caused by a long term mistreat of the back. That one wrong move, one wrong pull that trigger the back pain is only the last straw.

This business is one of those that you need to bend down, pickup stuff quite a bit. It will be very helpful to look into back care and do exercise. Weight training, situps and stretching will be helpful. Talk to a trainer and take a few classes.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm 6'3" the strap helped initially but over time it gets in the way, so what
    I did is just hold the trimmer at a more vertical angle, and don't bend over.

DO wear goggles and hearing protection, always.

7. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

Im well over six feet as well and I tried holding it high like that Topsites, but it didnt really feel right.

I am an old man (37) compared to some of you guys and I have had a bad back for a while. I do strength train and that is what has allowed me to continue to work hard despite my problem. Im gonna look into the strap. Thanks guys.:waving:

8. yungman

from Calif.

Good for you. People don't realize how important strength training is. You are old at 37!!! Get out of town!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I had really bad back pain in the 80's from car accident and over doing in Tak Kwno Do. For a while, I can't even stand for 5 minutes without tingling sensation all the way down my legs to the toes. I tried everything short of surgery. Nothing help until the doctor put me onto strengh training. It work. I have been doing it since. Now I am still going the Gold's Gym three times a week, one hour each. I also do cardio by doing heavy punching bag work twice a week. The pain is still there, just managing the pain the lead a normal life. Now I am even sparing with my grandson who is a brown belt in Tai Kwan Do.:waving::waving::waving:

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Line trimmers are for kids......

Being in this business for quite a while. I wont even crank one....

that's what I hire you kids for..........

10. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

I work my back out a lot, not just by physical labor, by hitting the gym. I know over time just like with anything it wears. I wear eye and most of the time hearing protection.