Do u allow employees to smoke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Mar 15, 2007.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

If u do, what are the rules pertaining to fuel & equipment
  2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I'm not a smoker and I hate smokers. there generally lazier workers and take more breaks. I don't like the smell of smoke in my truck and I don't want cigarette's anywhere near my equipment or fuel cans.
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I don't want them to smoke in the truck but I also don't want them smoking at the clients houses. I just generally try not to hire smokers.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

in ohio you aren't allowed to smoke in a company truck unless you are the owner and no one else is going to drive it.
  5. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

Personally, no. It takes the image of the company down a couple notches when someone is smoking on a customers property. If the person was really a hard worker, I would maybe allow it but still don't like it. Plus its not fun to jump into a truck that someone smokes in either.
  6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe at lunch but generally no and definately not while at a customers house
  7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I agree! I have known people at past jobs who smoke just so they can take more breaks
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If I didn't hire smokers .... that would cut out 70% of my new hires

Don't know how it is else where .... just a simple fact this way ... most are young ....know much more than me .... have loud cars (not that that's an issue .... as I have a Very Loud Truck ... ie Toy)

Anywho ....NO Smoking on job sites n that includes working on equip ...n fuel ... well ... that's a NO Brainer ....

They smoke on break .... out of site from customers n public areas or at the shop ... they smoke in the work trucks ...but I have work trucks .... NO AC ... windows are down ....n Truck is crew leaders job to keep clean it's up to them on smoking in truck ...NO Butts out the window fore sure

I'd NEVER say smokers are lazy ...

My main foreman .... Rick just quit smoking after like 20 years .... he is 37 ...n can work rings around most ...n I have young bucks 24-27 ... they smoke but work their butts off ... heck it's like 80 out right now n its March ....

I encourage lots of water breaks during work ...but not so much the smoke breaks ....n the guys know it ... they want to get out of the heat fast as possible

Not the best of habits ... I'd admitt ... as I Do smoke ...but when working .... I tend to not smoke as much ...mainly when I'm out shooting pool with a cocktail in hand or such
  9. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

If I didn't allow my employees to smoke I wouldn't have many! I don't allow guys to smoke in the trucks or around customers. They also know I better never catch them throwing their butts in a customers yard. If they are outside and away from the customers house, I don't care how many cigs they smoke as long as the work gets done. It's hard enough to find employees these days, much less employees that don't smoke. The way I see it is smoking, drinking, and all the rest seem to go hand in hand with the blue collar worker. I've had guys tell me that being able to smoke at work is one of the things they like about working outside. If letting them smoke keeps them around to dig holes, push wheelbarrows, and cut grass then smoke up!
  10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I smoke and I will let any employees smoke. There are a few rules though. No butts in the yards, no smoking when a customer is around, if a customer comes out of their house the cig gets put out and no smoking when filling up with gas. In my area a large majority of all landscapers smoke. I'm a big smoker and to say that smokers are generally lazier isn't true, atleast around here. I landscape 40-65 hours a week, and I run a sweeper truck 20 hours a week. If thats lazy, I would like to see what is a hard worker. Every good employee but one that I have ever worked with has been a smoker. In my eyes smoking is like picking your nose. Some people do it and some don't, some people don't mind it and some do, just don't do it directly in front of a customer. The customer may not do it and be offended by someone who does. :)