do u charge the same for bigger or smaller lawns?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Git-R-Dun, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Git-R-Dun

Git-R-Dun LawnSite Member

If a lawn is about twice the size how much more should i charge them over the smaller lawn?

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge by how long you think it will take you, and consider these things.....hills, amount of obstacles in the yard, amount of trimming and edging, amount of hard surface to blow off, type of grass, desired cutting height, and how often are you going to cut it.

When I give an estimate, I go over all of these things in my mind, and try to determine the number of minutes it will take me to complete. Then I estimate that time at $1 per minute.

3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Just thought I'd add a little to Mo-Green's suggestion:

You will not always estimate the job perfectly, you can't always take into account everything! Don't get discouraged if your first 10-15 estimates are off, you will learn the in's and out's quick!

We sometimes take into account the urgency of the job, ie- do they need it done RIGHT NOW, or are they looking for many quotes.

If they're looking for lots of quotes chances are that they're going for a low-baller, you can attack this situation in this way (if you want): "our company will not provide you with the lowest quote, our time is very valuable, and our work is outstanding. You will never have to get our work redone, it will always be done right the first time."

We always keep a photo album in the trucks with us when quoting to show the customers the work that we have done in the past, and 90% of the people that take interest in the photo's go with our company! Be sure to include lots of before and after photo's!

Hope this helps and wasn't too wordy! Good luck Git-R-Dun

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Charge by the time it will take plus a certain percentage of extra cost per machine you are using. Say you use a 36 instead of a 21 charge extra for size and price of machine and upkeep.
    Now the reason I say this is that I have a couple of 2000 sq ft lawns that I can only use a 21 on and it takes me 45 min to mow and trim. I also have a 15000 sq ft lawn that takes me 20 min using my 36 on including the trim. I charge 35 for the 2000 and 30 for the 15000. Larger does not always take longer. You will learn over time how long it will take regardless the season.