1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do u ever save/reuse the plants?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did some work today, the guy wanted some really nice looking stuff torn out and hauled away. 2 large henoki cypress, and a big birdnest spruce, that were in really nice shape. i took them and planted them at my house. u ever remove things, and resell them? or use them at your house?
  2. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

As often as possible. Especially sod.
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had a customer last year complaining about a rock walk way that was in her backyard how must she hated it.She asked me how much to haul it away and I gave her a price told her I had to pay to dump it somewhere so I loaded it up took it to my house and put in a walkway from my deck to the patio.Customer is happy and my wife was happy because she got a free walkway
    and best of all I got paid for it.
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I didn't read close enough you did say plants.Yes an employee took some home after a job last year.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotten lots of stuff over the years. Some big rhodo's, ornamental grasses, hostas, daylillies, all kinds of stuff. I ripped out a huge overgrown rose bush, cut it back to a stump, and planted it in my yard. Got some beautiful yellow roses, my wife's favorite color. I can be a lot of work, but some stuff is worth saving.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yeah, we've taken stuff that customers wanted ripped out and disposed of... But not to resell it.
    A few things we kept for our house, the other stuff we plant at my mom's house. She'll see us coming, and say, "What are you bringing me now. I don't want anymore stuff brought here."... LOL I never listen to her. :)

The worst thing matt brought home was this large cement birdbath that a customer didn't want. It was so ugly. I had to look at the birdbath for two years until last year I told him.... "it's me or the birdbath, take your pick..." LOL. After many sleepless nights deciding what he shoud do, he made the right choice.
    Next day though, I saw he had went over to the neighbors yard and gave the birdbath to them. So I'm still stuck looking at it. :laugh:
  7. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

I have never saved and resold. But I have used some of the real nice stuff some customers wanted torn out and also give to employees and family whenever they are still in good shape.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

notice he didn't bring the birdbath very far(only to your neighbors) he did that because he still hasn't fully made up his mind.
  9. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

The stone wall around my wifes herb garden is from a demo job. We get plants from the woods, leftovers from jobs,the dump any were we can. If it can be saved we use it. My wife is making a wild life habituate out of two acres of our property so any thing we can get our hands on is good. I've been paid to haul off two of our bird baths and we have found three at the dump. I have know Idea how many we have now close to twenty counting the ones I have made I would guess. :) The birds don't care what they look like. LOL
  10. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

The american way....make money R & R ....remove & reuse. We reuse usable plants, but the best part is, look under the plants when you are trimming. You will sometimes find little babies that have rooted from a drooping limb. We pull these out and replant them at home until they are full size, then resell. The customer don't mind as he thinks they look like weeds or are cluttering up the landscaping. The other thing we do is after trimming, we root hormone the trimmings, plant in a moist shady area and water. Aftyer about 2 years these babies are large enough to sell.