do u have to tell them what it's gonna cost?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had a lawn customer ask me to put some stone in her back yard. she didn't ask for a price, she asked what kind of stone i recommend, then said simply, "ok, do it." well, i told her i'd get to it when i had a chance. i didn't plan on it today, but we ended up there, it's only about a 3-4 hr job, and it's a shady back yard, being it's so hot, i decided to do this job today. well, it was spur of the moment, so i didn't write anything up. she never asked for a price. i'm afraid she may faint when i hand her the bill for $900, and tell her, " NOW, it's due NOW". bad move or what? is it ok to do a job, without telling them how much?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer that DIDN'T wanna know how much it would cost. She just said do it and surprise her. Those are the kind I like! She's from the East and now in the Mid-West.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. Spur of the moment thing, we ended up there before I gave her the written quote. She almost passed out when I told her $600. Which I didn't think was bad at all. Two guys six hours of work(12 total man hrs). Luckily she paid but I would advise against it. I always try to get something in writting and have it signed.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

thanks nick, i actually didn't know that. she'll pay, or i'll take her 2 little puppies hostage

6. rgjlawn

rgjlawn LawnSite Member
    from midwest

How many man hours? What about material cost? :dizzy: :

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

3 ton of stone. $10 worth of weed block. 35 ft of black diamond edging. total time 5 man hrs

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I never bid anymore. When done I add up my time and if any materials add them and bill. I never accept payment on the spot, everything is invoiced and mailed. I work for the same people year after year so this works out. If I did one time work it would not work.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

No, you don't have to tell them what it cost.

If you're looking to get paid though,giving them a cost before the job begins makes collection much easier.

10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Hmnn. I hope you get paid. I really hope the lady doesn't have a heart attack when you give her the bill. But have a cold glass of water for her, this might be hard on her.