do walk behind edgers SUCK?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KingMoneyNYC, May 2, 2008.

1. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

i can't seem to get edging right....originally i was edging with this little attachment that hooked onto a neuton cordless mower...it was like a string edger that went on the front of the mower, it worked great...but i figured let me start getting a little more serious and get all gas stuff, so I bought a redmax trimmer and a Mclane edger just like this one:

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/2002757/i/Mvc_855f_ezr.jpg

I used the edger today, and in my opinion it sucked, if the metal blade got to close to the sidewalk there would be sparks everywhere, when it wasn't close to the sidewalk it was just cutting a couple blades and not leaving that NICE clean cut edge I see everywhere and that even I was doing when I was using my little string trimmer attachement.

I know when I spoke to the dealer today, he told me that I should dig trenches with the bladed Mclane edger, but I don't think that will look so great either

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I love my w/b edger. its night and day compared to the stick edger. is it set deep enough? I usually run mine at the lowest setting. I just butt it up to the edge of the sidewalk, once you get an edge going the edger pretty much follows the line.

so, try setting the blade a bit deeper.

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

What I have learned with my walk behind, is to angle the blade out, Generally the glad is on the left hand side, instead of it being totally up and down, angle it one notch to the left. Big difference.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thrilled with my RedMax stick trimmer. Keep the blades sharp, and the edge is as clean as it can be. It's VERY fast, and cuts a great edge, IF the blades are sharp!

5. Raven386

from CT

I haven't used my stick edger to maintain an edge yet, just trying to cut new edges. and like I said, night and day compared to the walk behind edger.

6. KingMoneyNYC

so you're saying your walk behind edger works well....maybe im doing it wrong I have it set pretty high, just above the cement. Are you saying that I should dig a trench in the soil with the blade?

7. Raven386

from CT

I like to set it lower, I will take a picture tomorrow. it keeps it looking cleaner longer. it leaves maybe an 1" "trench" I guess you can call it. Try setting it a bit deeper until you get it leaving a nice edge, as the blade wears down just keep lowering it 1 notch at a time.

8. KingMoneyNYC

Thanks for the advice! i'll try it out

9. Raven386

from CT

no problem. I have to edge a few props. tomorrow so I will try to take a picture or 2. good luck with it! dont give up on it yet.

10. KingMoneyNYC

so you don't use anything else but your walkbehind to edge?