Do we have the power?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Nov 4, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 52"/23kawi Wright Stander, and have been hesitant about putting doubles on it. This is only because we are afraid that it will damage the engine by making it work a LOT harder than it normally would. Any input would be appreciated as the leaf season is in full swing here in KC, and we have a full weekend ahead of us before we can go out duck hunting.

2. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

That should be plenty to run doubles, probably even enough to run Meg-Mo's. However, I'm not totally sure about the amount of power a stander uses compared to a sulkied wb or a ZTR...

3. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

As far as gas in concerned, will you waste enough gas to make that much of a difference, and what toll will it take on the engine in the long haul.

4. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I was running doubles on a 25 hp kawi put meg-mo's on today, they seem to use a lot less power than doubles. just my opinon

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I've been running doubles on my 23hp Sentar for two years now without any problems. They do take some power, but the added efficency is well worth it.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I run doubles on my 17 hp 52" standers. I don't have a problem. I do turn the speed controls down one turn to deal with the slowing of the engine a little. I also increased the speed of the engine by 100 rpms. Haven't had any problems. Ran all last fall that way, this spring till June, and they were put back on as of last week.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I run single Raptor blades on my 17/48's . I have never seen the need for doubles this way. But you should have excess power to run doubles if needed.

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I run doubles on my GD Surfer...52" w/18hp Kohler. I do it in the spring, and then again in the fall. I have not had any power issues. You should be fine. I cannot speak for the Meg-Mo's, don't have them.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

seems to me like you would have enough

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

They work fine on a 23 Horse 52" Lazer HP. You do lose some power on slopes etc. It is harder on the clutch than on the motor in my opimion............