1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do Worn Blades Cause Clumping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, May 20, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

As the lifts on blades wear down, could clumping result? I have several sets of blades I rotate, all with about the same amount of wear, and seem to be getting more clumping this year. Any thoughts?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If the LIFT portion of the blade is wearing, yes because the blade no longer produces the same amount of suction and it doesn't discharge as heartily... But only that fin bit, I don't see how, if anything else wears, material wise, thou I suppose a dull blade might do it too, but idk cuz I don't run dulls lol.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

What Topsites said.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A dull blade will tear the grass instead of cutting it cleanly opening it up in insects, disease, and future problems as well.
  5. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

This maybe a minor factor, but grass cut with a sharp blade opposed to mashed by a dull blade will cause more moisture to be extracted from the grass (grass juice) which sticks much better then dry grass. At least that’s what I believe.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

What he said