Do you accept credit cards?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGLN, Feb 20, 2011.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I need to start accepting credit cards. What do I need to know? What pitfalls to watch out for?

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

talk to your bank, they will be able to provide you with everything you need. dont sign a contract.

3. JFGLN

I have been looking at Costo's program. I will be checking with my credit union also.

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how you want to accept CC, if over the net, you may want to check out Paypal. They have a free one you can put on your website and only pay a percentage when you use it.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I sent out a survey for my exisiting customers asking if they were interested in using CCs and only had one customer say that they would. And this customer in a once a year customer. I have a few interested in receiving their invoice via email.

6. lawntimenosee

lawntimenosee LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to do this exact thing too.

Do you happen to have an outline or template for the survey you sent out? Just trying to make sure I don't forget anything and cover all bases.
    Now is a good time for me to update all contact info & numbers too.
    I think a lot of customers may opt for the email invoicing.

7. aarons lawn

aarons lawn LawnSite Member

i will never take plastic they charge a small fee for there machines i dont like to share my profits wih anyone besides the crew

8. JFGLN

I was looking for info from people that have researched or are currently accepting credit cards from their customers.

9. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

We have accepted CC for many years now. Based on the number of accounts you service, it may make sense based on enough participation from you clients. When you look at the fees when spread throughout your total overhead, it's not bad. You can also charge a small fee for processing those payment to offset the fees charged.

We quickly saw people spending more money on add-on services by giving the option to pay with a CC. Based on your clientele, you may want to take Amex as well. They do charge a bit more to run, but many high-end clients carry that card.

That's my .02 worth. Hope it helps.

10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

When you process credit cards, you will have the following types of fees.

Setup Fee: $0 - $60+
    Monthly Fee: $10 - $30
    Per transaction percentage: 1.7% - 3.0%
    Per transaction flat rate: $0.20 - $0.30

After cards are processed and totaled out for the day, it takes 24-72 hours for them to be deposited into your bank account depending on who you have.

I do not recommend PayPal. Their fees are higher and pita customers can get their money back in a heartbeat because PayPal only protects sellers when tangible items are sold and proven to be delivered via tracking number.

Also, you cant personally process the cards yourself through PayPal unless you upgrade to Website Payments Pro, which comes with all of the above fees, plus they hold 30% of your income for 90 days as "protection" in case of chargebacks.

The company I use charges $10/month, 1.7% + $0.22 per transaction. No set up fee.