do you all think this will work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobwright007, Mar 26, 2005.

1. bobwright007

bobwright007 LawnSite Member

im planning on placing this add in the classifieds this monday. What does everybody think of this strategy. I've been getting under bid on most of the bids i've been putting out lately. I'm thinking this strategy could help by phaseing out the lowballers in a way. Im just going to try this out for a week or two.

Bid Your Own Lawn!
    “We make acquiring lawn
    services easy.” You know the
    best price for your property,
    so why go through the
    run-around with multiple
    Lawn Companies?
    Simply call us, describe
    the work, and give us your
    bid, Absolutely no reasonable
    bid will be declined. We offer
    many services including fertilizing
    and pesticide applications.
    Our work is of the highest quality,
    And is backed by years of experience.
    “Your lawn is our resume.”

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it will get you the calls, but are they going to be calls that you want to have?
    Stick with pricing your lawns. You don't walk into a store and get to name the price of a shirt you want to buy do you? Everything needs a price, if you give the customer the option of setting their own price.... well you have just given them too much power then.

3. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think your nuts :dizzy:

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he's being sarcastic guys! :p

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Really? From his post, I actually think he is serious. Can you clarify bobwright?

6. bobwright007

bobwright007 LawnSite Member

In my area customers usually go for $20-$25 for a 10,000 sq/ft lawn. That price is fine with me. SO i feel that if a basic customer calls and says im looking to spend around twenty dollars and its a average sized lawn like above. Then i eliminate the low ballers who offer 10 to 15 by not giving them a chance to bid.
    And of course im sure i will get some calls with customers that will be out of their minds but i don't have to accept their bid. Also in my opinion, this helps the home owners by letting them explain the job once to one company besides calling 10 different guys and going over their property 10 times. SO i think a lot of potential clients will appreciate the time that they save.

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

If someone offered to mow a lawn for 10-15 dollars, I would say knock yourself out, any professional with the proper equipment and insurance's(liability and work comp) would agree. Never....Never get trapped into playing the lowball game....everybody loses in the long run.

8. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

just my opinion ... no it wouldn't work. every one would say $10 to cut a 1/2 acre lot and $15 to trim bushes, edge and pull weeds .
    to top it off they would call back and ***** that every thing isn't perfect .

what i did seems to work fairly well.
    < you will get death threats from other LCO's though >
    figure out your bottom line price to cut the average lawn in a certain area.
    put it on your flyers.
    you can even say something like starting at $XX.xx in your area to save yourself from thoughs lawns that are just a PIA to do.
    or ones with excessive amounts of trimming or any thing that will make you want to up the price.
    i did this and i had to turn down more work then i care to think about . i am still getting calls from people on last years flyer's.

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I think you'll end up with alot of PITA customers that won't spend any cash on extras and will whine and grip about any increase. I doubt they will be loyal, what happens when the "lowballers" come to their door??

10. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

I think you need to re-think your business strategy. As Mr. Gedd preaches don't like your customers run your business.