1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you always carry your backup mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Jan 25, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been carrying my backup mower for quite sometime. I never use it. It is an extra 1500lbs that I really don't need to be carrying down the road. I am thinking about putting it in my garage unitl I need it. What do you guys do? I think it will save on wear and tear on my truck and trailer.
  2. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

I think it depends on a couple things. If you only have one mower total that you use I would carry a backup. We have two mowers on the trailer at all times, so if one goes down worst case scenario is that we have to spend a little extra time with just the one going. If you have a pretty reliable mower and you aren't that far from your house on most days I also wouldn't worry about it. Now if you are pretty far from your house and you have trouble from your mower I would definately keep some sort of backup so you wouldn't be stuck so far from home and have to go all the way back.
  3. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow by myself. But I had days last year when I went out with (2) 21'' Toros and a 36'' exmark, and my ZTR. I felt kinda funny having 4 mowers with one guy, but all got put to use. The two Toros were set to different heights so I didn't have to raise and lower for different yards.
  4. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

i dont carry my spare mower but i do carry a backup weedeater
  5. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

We leave the backups at home. We carry a 60, 36, and 21, in a pinch we'll use the smaller mowers. Then when we get home bring out the backups.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

What's the point of having a backup if it's not with you? Yes I have it with me.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same. In 17 years I've only had to head back to the shop twice because I lost a mower and couldn't continue. The catastrophic failure rate is so low that it's not worth taking the backup mowers. If I save 1 mpg it's well worth not taking them needlessly. I figure I've saved 1,000 gallons of gas over the years.

BTW, if you're wondering, you have to travel 100 miles to save a gallon of gas at the 1 mpg rate.
  8. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

So technically it wouldn't be called a backup it would be called a run back to go get mower.
  9. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I can't remember the last time I used a 21"!

10. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

I'm with you Martin. I've only had to use the backup once in all my years. It's about effiency so its just not good sense to bring something along that isn't being used. They are not collecting dust either, they get used on my property. I trust my equipment.
    Posted via Mobile Device