1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you always charge retail for plants you install?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Picture Perfect Landscape, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

Just finished this bid for a client and sometimes I feel as though I may be overcharging a bit. This particular job has almost $600.00 in mark up. But I only mark up to retail. My labor is the same as it would be for anything else. I have considered dropping the labor rate slightly when having so many plants installed but at the same time I am against it since I am picking them all out and picking them up etc.

Just curious if everyone else keeps their same labor rate and still marks up plants/materials.

Attached Files:

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

So what happens if 3 of those colimnar junipers take a crap on you and they request you to replace 3 months down the road? then what? charge them again. i wouldn't pay it. Just think of it as added insurance. I usually charge 2x my cost on plants and then my usual 45 per man hour.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

that and when did they start taking the dollar out to the thousandth, ten thousandth and what not?
  4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I cant believe you put your customers name and adress on here!
  5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont drop your price get when you can. Lol on the customer information part.
  6. Picture Perfect Landscape

double plant cost plus hourly wage seems a little high, but nonetheless, most of the time my nursery will take plants back and give you new ones for free, but I understand you are still out the time and travel if doing it urself and labor if having a laborer doing it.

This is the way I have been doing it forever and I don't drop my prices. I was just curious if most other marked up materials similarly to how I do or if I was on the higher or lower side. Sounds like everyone else does but sounds like yall mark up mor than me. 100% seems insane. My mark up was 33% and that about $600.00. @ 100% you are charging them 1800 dollars up and above the plant cost PLUS the addition 1100 or so for your regular labor. That just seems steep for sure. But hey if you can get it good for you! Seriously. That just wouldn't fly around here for sure even in the nice parts of town. I think getting 33% on most things and 50% on a few is good.

Yea I didnt even realize I had the customer information when I posted that.. I'm going to take it down.
  7. Picture Perfect Landscape

or maybe I can't take it down since it won't let me edit the post.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK you have it a bit confused here, when that 2x or 3X formula is used it usualy INCLUDES pick up and installation of the plant. You don't then add your labor on top of your 2x 3x mark up over retail. Mostly when you see those figures the guys are talking about the installed price.
    This is how I do it, I get 25% off on the plant at the nursery and mark them up 25% and then I add my installation charge in my total labor charge for the job. Because my planting situations are not always easy or straightforward I decide what that labor charge will be depending on the planting conditions.

Say I have a plant costs 8.00 retail plus tax. I get it for 2.00 plus tax-
    charge 10.00 plus tax I make 4.00 plus tax on the plant and that covers my time picking it up, delivering it and I make a bit.
    Then I charge my labor for planting that plant on top of that. Does that make sense to you?
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

my nursery gives me 10% off and i can make that 10% get more $ in the end by markup no way would i ever discount plants. (family excluding thou :waving: )
  10. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I too am in your area. I think you are competitive in your billing. I am curious as to what nursery you are using that will replace your plants. Can you let me know where you go. I always warranty my owrk and it does bite me at times. It would be helpful if the nurseries around would help on this.