do you always do "the right thing?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do we always do the right thing? or do we just sometimes do what the customer asks, or demands? a man called and said i need my lawn thatched, and seeded. i told him we generally don't seed in spring, unless the lawn has like very little grass. he says whatever, he wants it thatched and seeded, will i do it or not? sure, why not, u wanna p!ss your money away, fine by me. so i go, the front yard looks fine, and the back is 100% zoysia. so i start up the thatcher, and away i go. thatch, seed, done. then he say's he has "fert" , can i apply it? sure, why not. but it's scotts #1(with halts aka pre em). i point out that this is a bad idea, he says whatever, will you do it? sure i say. who would have done it? who would not?

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If you warned him and he still wanted it done, make him sign a waiver or liability and do it. I wouldn't touch it though until I got something in writing stating that he releases me from liability.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ok,Well if someone is that stupid as to have a Pro come over to
    dethatch and seed, then ask to have a fert with a pre em applied to his lawn I say why the hell not.

I would apply the fert only if I had a lic to do so. But with out a lic no way would i touch the stuff

Honestly it boggles my mind how stupid somepeople are. Did you take the guys money anyway Bobby??

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, naturally i took his money. he didn't want to listen to reason, and flipped me a cool $10 bill extra to put down his seed killer. why not

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

The main problem I would have putting the pre-m down, signed liablility waiver or not, is when the grass doesn't come up, it will be your name getting smeared. The guy will be telling everyone that will stop for half a second what a screwing you gave him, grass wouldn't even come up and for all that money. The fact that he had you put down the pre-m won't even get mentioned, except maybe to say that he even provided some fertilizer to help the grass grow.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You're kidding right?
    When the good looking woman across the street wants to hire you for some work, she'll look at the seeding you did, and reconsider it.
    Other people do see your work ya know? For 10 extra bucks, it was worth it to ya to ruin his seed?
    I don't believe you did it, I just think it makes for a good story. :laugh:

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Thanks,Jodi now ya got me thinking.How dumb of me not to think of todays date April 1st. But you have to admit it could be true their are stupid people roaming this earth too.

Do you thik this is Bobbys way of keeping a Senoir Mod on her toes? :)

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't have put it down. Not saying that you didn't, but I would have drilled it into his head that the seed WON"T come up.
    (april fools, right?)

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I would have done it as long as he understood that it was not in season to perform such services, but I would not have spread the fert. since I don't have a license for it.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with jodi i think its an april fools joke, but there are people out there that want it done like that. I had a lady that wanted seed on her yard in the middle of oct and it didnt rain any for almost a month. When it came time to get the leaves up I sucked leaves and seed up. Then next spring she said '' are you sure you put any seed down?? I dont see any new grass""