1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you and how do you double cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Jan 10, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if many pro's here double cut and if so why? Also how do YOU do it? For instance, do you cross paths or start over in the same direction as the first cut to keep the stripes well defined?

This is for conversation. I know how to do a search. :)
  2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

some double cut for thick grass(to get some stragglers or to mulch the clippings) ... the best double cut is to cross your old stripes like a checker board....

if you just want to define your stripes you dont need to cut a second time when you have a striping kit just drive in the same direction of your previous path.....
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would do a double cut if there were still clippings left on top of the grass.

I do my second pass at the next step up on the mower deck. If the first pass is at 3 inches the second would be at 3-5/8 inches.

The direction depends on whether or not the whole lawn needs to be recut. If it's only a small portion then I will just go in the same tracks. If the entire lawn needs to be double cut then I will go in the opposite direction.

I do have a select few lawns that are cross-cut every week just for appearance ($).
  4. KathysLGC

Yeah I hate the checker board look. I forgot to ask, if you do double cut, how are you cutting? Mulch, bag, discharge?
  5. KathysLGC

why raise the deck? The grass is already cut and by going over the second time to chop up the clippings you'll be able to get any straglers left behind(if any).
  6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I do exactly what Richard Martin does...the second pass you go as fast as you can with the deck up a notch and you are ONLY cutting clippings
  7. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

We double cut only a few lawn's..the reason is the lady water's the grass 2 times a day 7 day's a week.. we told her over and over not to do that.. I do the up and down side to side on the double cut.. No bagging what's so ever.. That's my 2 sense !
  8. Richard Martin

I got my most prestigious job because of my willingness and ability to do checkboards (word of mouth). The lawn topography rolls quite a bit and the stripes are arrow straight in both directions.

I discharge all but 2 of my lawns. Those 2 are bagged.
  9. Richard Martin

Because I only want to disperse those clippings which may be on top of the grass. Experience will show you the best way to do a double cut.
  10. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Lets say you cut the entire lawn at 3". If you were to encounter any change in slope or unexpected depressions when cutting again at 3" ,the lawn will now have areas that appear to have been cut as with an uneven deck. In other words, raising the deck assures you from scalped areas of the lawn due either to imperfections in the lawn or from the mower straying from the original tracks.