Do you answer your business phone on Sunday? Do you get restults from answering it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by z_clark, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. z_clark

    z_clark LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 369

    I don't answer the phone on Sundays. The callers are usually new sign ups looking for one time mows that very minute.

    Yet....every Monday, I check the voice mail...and return theses messages. 90% of the time I am returning their message with my own message on their machine, and never hear back from them. The other 10% end up being some one who "found some one else", or want it done that very minute.

    A mentor of mine does not return calls. He says he keeps long business hours, if they can't call during them it is their own fault. I answer my phone Monday - Saturday 7 to 7, no exceptions. I even include my phone hours on my voice mail if they call after hours.

    What are y'all's experiences? Any solutions / ideas / comments?
     
  2. Badgerz

    Badgerz LawnSite Member
    Posts: 122

    I wouldn't be calling businesses on Sunday so I don't think people should expect me to answer my phone on Sunday. It's your own choice but I wouldn't answer.
     
  3. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 21,654

    There could be something to the mentioned effect about sunday calls, I find this effect mostly on calls coming in real early in the morning (like 5:30 am and bs like that).

    As a general rule I don't answer the phone during what I consider 'off' hours, be it that I'm there or not, but I pay attention to the phone number in case it's one of my regulars and I may review our relationship at that time as it can be an indication someone thinks I'm their lawn boy.
     
  4. jt5019

    jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,432

    If I'm not busy with something i will answer it but i tell the customer that i wont be out until Monday. Some say never mind some are fine with it. If its a one time cut i tell them i will get there asap but it could be a couple days. I'm not gonna mess up my whole schedule for a 1 time cut unless they happen to be right near where i am.
     
  5. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 989

    I run my business like a business - when was the last time you called a business after hours or on closed days to speak with someone?
    My hours of operation are posted on my message, and weekend calls/site visits are through appointment only.
     
  6. TWUllc

    TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 406

    No way I'd ever answer my phone on a sunday, unless its one of my top customers who have my cell number. I recieved one call on a sunday once around 7pm. I laughed and deleted the message before it ever started. Some people are just :hammerhead:
     
  7. HOOLIE

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,981

    Why would you delete it???? They probably figured no one would answer and were trying to leave a message for you to call back during business hours...
     
  8. sheshovel

    sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,112

    You bet I answer calls on Sunday..not a problem,alot of my work is at the clients second home..they may only be up for the weekend.They may work all week and are talking or thinking about their landscape or lack of one on Sunday and decide to call around.
    I have gotten many many jobs from Sunday calls.
     
  9. lawnspecialties

    lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,513

    I'm with She on this one. The one thing I have tried to do is develop a more personal, less rigid, relationship with my customers. Every now and then, a regular will call on Sunday or in the evening and usually, I'll get it. I want my customers to actually like me and it almost always shows. In the past seven years of my LCO, I have never lost a customer to a competitor. The only lost customers I've had have been due to moving, they can't afford an LCO, or I've had to fire them. Noone's abused my willingness to answer at odd hours, and I think they appreciate it. It's just one of the "personal touch" things I'm willing to do for them.

    Don't worry, I'm already heading to the back of the bus. Actually, the view isn't so bad back here and nobody can sneak up behind me when I'm not looking.:waving:
     
  10. ECS

    ECS LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,733

    I answer my phone all the time. Part of the business is caretaking for second and third homes. Sometimes it is the alarm company calling and sometimes it is the customer calling. My customer have called late at night, very early in the morning, but not very often. Got a call at 2:30 in the morning from the alarm company because the freeze alarm on the hot tub was going off. I chose this business and will not turn a customer away for a 5 minute phone call.
     

Share This Page