1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you bag lots an acre or larger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I know a lot of guys have some sort of bagger systems and can bag 20 acres if they wanted to..

I have a customer that wants his 2.2 acre heavily watered/fertilized development lawn all bagged every week. I currently cut it for $75 weekly, not bagged. If i were to bag, i would have to cut down from two ztr mowers on the lawn to just one and bagging dump time and disposal of a truckload of grass, its a lot of grass :p Its going to take instead of 35 minutes time, closer to 2 hours with just one mower and dumping, on my two man cutting crew.

I couldn't financiall take less than $200 per cut. I know thats high and i dont even want to offer him the price, im sure theyll not even consider $100 per cut bagged, but i wanted to gauge an idea of other LCOs that do bag huge lots.
  2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Can you dump clippings onsite ? If so I would say $120ish if you have to haul away and dispose of your $200 is about right I would try to sell him on the benefits of not bagging and the nutrients that it has to the soil.
  3. bigbear

bigbear LawnSite Member

tell him about the wonders of building a compost pile behind his shed then you can bill him for turning it over adding lime and putting in his flower beds or start one at your house ilive on a farm and have a grass compost pile, i sell it by the skid loader bucket 15 bucks a bucket i dont make any money on makin it a turn it with the skid loader, but i make money installing it and hauling it to job and gives them a reason to pay me to till we also install in veggie gardens
  4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Have 1 mower side discharge with gator blades running wide open and the bagging mower going around the edges. Then raise it up 1/2 inch and bag whats left from the other mower.. You might not have so many to haul off. I have done this with the mulching mower and the bagger.
  5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it look bad not bagged? If you still have to bag, cut it first and then bag only what needs it. Using Exmark Ultracut's we never bag grass .
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Well when i first started sept 1st on this property, the old company was cutting around 5" in height... Literally when i cut 4.75" my first cut it had a TON of grass cut off... this is a a weekly account for me. It was apparently maintained weekly prior and looked it but it was WAY too tall. I now have it down to 4.25" but it doesnt look "bagged" for the wife.. It does imo look a ton better than before and there isnt that much grass left over. but yeah, if i cut it at 4" all the time i would be hauling away a lot of grass.

Thanks for the idea of having one mower just go over whats left from the other, that would work fine, except this customers wife would still find some grass clippings lol. The customer called the other day to tell me that he thinks the lawn looks fine and not to worry about bagging. The wifes argument was that theyre lawn looks worse than everyone else in the development, well no one elses lawn is watered and/or fertilized and looks nothing more than weeds and dirt.. theyres is perfect looking, i almost was laughing but mad at the lady at the same time. Id say out of my 60 accounts, this lawn ranks in the top 5 as far as quality of look, cut, clippings etc.. and shes up in arms about it since "i was hired to fix" the problem of the last company leaving so many dead clumps, which there are none now.
  7. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

I wouldn't worry one bit about what she says.
    ...unless she signs the checks.
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

2.2 acres for 75 thats is nuts. 117 for that account and yes I would bag it. Remeber that after bagging it a few weeks it will strip most of the fert out and will become easier. I try to dump on site but if I have to I will dump in the dump bed.
    If he will not go for it move on. I have a trip bagger toro and a trip bagger ferrris both eat up the clippings.
  9. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

At least 110 for single cut add 50%to 100% more for second/bagging.

$38 per manicured ACRE :dizzy: -------GTFO
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Why bag these day's, in the 90s sure everyone did but now? I only bag small yards and thats only if its a must. I mow a lot of acres and there is no way I would bag them unless they paid a premium, not worth the hassle. Besides there is no where to take clippings these days do to enviromental concerns.