Do you bag your grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, May 5, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I know some of you may have big properties. But on your smaller lawns do you bag your grass? or do it without the bag, then blow it all into the street and pick it up later? All the companies around here don't use baggers. I do and it looks much better when the bag is used. How much more should i charge? My average house is 25-30 dollars including bagging, trimming, and blowing. Is that too little? It usually take me about 30 minutes to do it by my self.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I charge an additional 3 bucks a bag....

3. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I don't think anyone can answer (accurately and fairly) if 30 bucks is too little, or too much for that matter.

I too agree that bagging provides a better, cleaner look. Some may argue/disagree. So be it. I bag my personal property and use the grass clippings in my compost. Unless of course it was fertilized within a 2-3 week timeframe.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We bag all the smaller lawns, Res. and Comm.. We dont bag with the Z on the large areas. $30 for 30 minutes work aint too bad I think. I dont even have a mulching kit for any of our mowers. Its bag or blow. And youre JOKING about blowing it into the street I HOPE.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i try like hell not to bag.

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

SPECIAL, Believe it or not, companies around here go over it with a mower, no bag, and blow it into the street and pick it up. I dont do it cuz its a waste of time, and you don't get the nice lines lol

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch it if possible, but I try to avoiding bagging, the trick is to cut often enough and at the right height. I'll bag if the customer absolutely insists, but it's an extra $10 for small lawns & as much a an extra $40 for larger props.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The smaller the yard the more you should bag. It takes longer to clean off things then to dump grass.
    John

9. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

If you service a property regularly and if you have good mulching mowers,bagging is totally unnecessary,IMHO.Also,the clippings add nitrogen back to the soil.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with Gamba, sometimes it is easier and leaves a better product when you bag. Small lawns make it neccesary sometimes.

I don't think some of the fellas who say they never bag have cut thick cool season turf. It is hard not to do some bagging when you have 7-8" of thick blue grass.

Jay