Do you balance your blades? How often?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric D, May 20, 2007.

1. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve seen the tread asking how often everyone sharpens their mower blades, but how often, if ever do you balance them? What do you use to balance?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Not balancing your blades is stupid. It doesn't take very long to do so, I balance my blades every time I sharpen. If you don't, kiss your spindles goodbye.
  3. I must be stupid then, I've never balanced a blade and have not had any problems with spindles. I have been doing this longer than you have been around, so I aint new at it.
  4. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

I balance my blades every single time I sharpen them. You can put any blade on a balancer that has never been balanced and it will always be WAY out of balance.

It's funny but we balance our tires on our trucks and autos and they only go something like 5,000 rpm doing 75 mph while a Exmark will spin it's blades at 18,500+ and some people will never balance the blades. Why is that? If they can feel it at 5,000 rpm in their trucks but not give a darn about their mowers at 18,500.
  5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

never balance them.

3 year warranty on spindles.

why bother.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I never do,time is always short.
  7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

You really think your tires are doing 5000 rpms? :hammerhead:
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We don't do ours either and have never had a problem. Mowers have 1000 plus hrs on them.:walking:
  9. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Every time I sharpen.

Magna Matic balancer = $200

ONE spindle or crank= ?

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Balance your blades then go mow for a hour. Then check them to see if they are still balanced. The only time I balance my blades is if I have to remove alot of material due to hitting something or if the blade goes on a 21" mower.