Do you barter on price with "potential customers"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 19, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Just curious if anyone quotes at a higher price and then ends up working down to a medium price to get the job? I ended up doing this more than i would have liked to this year.
    Eric

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the account. Commercial prospects,sometimes.
    Residentials,nope. The estimate is firm.

3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

NEVER, it is unprofessional and it makes you look desperate for work.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yea, but I am! :(

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You might be desperate for work but you don't want the customers to know this because before long they will have you doing all types of extra work for free because they know you need their account, if you carry yourself as a professional people will treat you like one and if you carry yourself like a beggar people will treat you like a beggar.

6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

The time(s) I have done it,which has been only a couple,was to get a prime commercial property. A place with "high visibility".
    I did it with two clinics that I have currently. Held the price for 1 year. The price increase was no problem. They were very satisfied with the work. Actually my bid to get the properties was close to what I wanted anyway.
    They were fed up with the bigger outfits that they had used before.I sold them on the more personal touch that I could give the job.
    Did it with one other really nice commercial property because of a pkg. deal. I made up for the little loss on the main site on the other location that was part of the pkg. deal.
    See where I'm going with this?;)

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I like to start off pretty cheap and then go to a fair price over the years where i'm making a good dollar. I only do this to close neighbors that have like helped me through my life and have been good friend to the family. To the others I go like $30 for 15,000 sq. ft. Once I get a truck I'll be charging full price for everyone cause then I'll have more to pay for.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I know, but I'm really desparate. When I get my license, things will change for the better... Maybe this summer I will get a job with a local crew or something. I seem pretty busy like it is but I don't have alot of customers. Just that one takes almost all day because of what I have to use, size of it, and the fact that there's about 75 trees or more on it! Alot of trimming on this one and most of those are small trees that they prefer to have a push mower used around so that I don't girdle the tree, which I don't, but they don't want it to accidentally happen. I just need a used WB, around 36" belt drive would be great but I need a truck worse :( :( :(
    As dad says "AAARRRGGGG!!!!!" when he gets aggravated at things...

9. No

10. it is so easy to go down in price. But its hard to go up in price in this industry. Remember the people you contact now might be customers down the road. And once you have a customer at a rate you wont be able to increase your rate that much at all. There are a ton of guys here still cutting at 1980s prices and they do great work. its just the nature of the beast