do you "bend?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do you ever bend on "level of service?" let me explain: i just signed a customer. i quoted him a price for the full pkg. he said, "too much", he needs to keep it under xxx $$ for budgetting purposes. so i simply said, "ok, which service do you want to eliminate?" he said, "none." i said, "well, we can't get it under xxx amount, unless we eliminate something." ended up closing the deal, at his desired price range, but at a lower level service. where did i save? i eliminated 4 cuts from the schedule, 2 in august, one in november, and one in july. the lawn is non irrigated, and i think it will work out fine. i also eliminated cinch bug treatment. this got the service package down to his desired budget, and was no skin off my rear end. is this a big mistake? i don't see the harm, but i do forsee a few problems: when i mow his neighbors 4 times in august, and his only twice, he will moan. when the insects eat his lawn, he will moan. but, this is what we agreed upon. thoughts?

2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

You are being paid for a service that the customer wants. If they want less, they get less, plain and simple. I think what you did is perfectly fine.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't skip cuts. it makes billing a pain in the ass and their lawn looks like crap because they're cheap, which makes me look like crap too.

4. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

I would spread out the skip a little more. I would skip first one in arpil, one in july or august, and the last two of the season. But personal I do not make package deals. I custom tailor to the customer needs and wants.

5. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

I would of told him thats I would do all the services for the priced he asked and tell him to sign a contract for 2 years. The second year I would charge him a full price. Tell him you can't cut corners because it will make you look bad. When someone goes to buy a truck do they say that they can olny spend 1000 less then the lowest price the dealer is willing to sell it. Then say, well just take the back seats out and I will put my own rims on so you can keep them. They just won't do it. Make your servies all the same. It will save you time in the end.

Vance Trendov

6. cutrite

cutrite LawnSite Member

What happened to the guy who doesn't let customers set the price. Thought it was your way or the highway. Yeah in a way its under your terms,but you still settled.Sorry had to post but I've read to many of your threads of domination of your customers.In Ohio the customer is supposedly always right.Sometimes we have to shallow our pride and settle,GLAD TO SEE THAT IT HAPPENENED TO YOU ALSO.I know you will post back trying to show how you won or your in control,but the customer is in charge. :D

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Bobby,

Will the skiped cuts end up costing you more time the following week? I usually notice that more time is required the week following a skipped cut. Also, there are more clippings, more grass to trim, and the longer grass is always harder to cut.

If it does cost you more time the following week, did you really save anything?

8. Andy Patnode

Andy Patnode LawnSite Member

In my mind, making profit is about getting customers in the same area. NO DRIVE TIME If I already dropped my tailgate on xyz road, why would'nt I bend a little, within my profit margin to pick up a neighbor and not have to drive elsewhere to pick up work. Clearly the objective is to have a customer base that pays fully and in the same area, but until your business is at that point, I'm not sure how else to create that?

9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think that if July and Aug. are as dry as it traditionally is and Nov is as cold as it traditionally is you may be ok. But, if it is wetter than normal, you may have a little problem. I guess the choices are, either to sell to the customer and get your price on your terms or to walk away. I guess that I would put in the contract that you can't guarantee the appearance in the months of the skipped mows. And that if the bugs DO become a problem, and he decides he DOES want them controlled that you will have to add a 25% to 50% surcharge to the normal fee for that service.

On a similar note, how hard is it to control cinch bugs after they've matured?

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

scuse me cutright, nice try, but that aint the way it went down. i sold him a lesser service, for less money, no skin off my azz. and wells, because the lawn is non irrigated, and the skipped cuts will be in the hot part of the summer, i do not anticipate any extra time on the following visits. tell me if i'm getting burned: 4,200 sq ft of turf-$32 per cut. fert program $200 consisting of granular 1 dimension w/fert, 1 millenium w/fert, 1 fert, 1 lime. shrub trimming, 1 man 2 hrs $200. scu $75 (nothing more than a grass cut and half a barrel of twigs).