Do you bother with 1-time customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom-N-Texas, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious if I'm alone here.

I get these calls all the time....where they want their lawn mowed or their flower beds cleaned out ONCE.

I used to waste my time running around town giving estimates for 1-timers, but I'm sick of it now. It's just not worth it during the growing season. I've also determined that this type of customer has probably called 5 services looking for the lowest price. Screw 'em. No more, brotha. Tom

2. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

A lot of times if I have time, and they are on my route, I will do it one time. If they are outta normal route, I usually don't mess with it.
    EHO

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually do. Usually these one timers are close to current customers anyways.

4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

if it is a one time cleanup i'll do it but they will not get the rate that a multiple service contract will get same with lawns $$$, only in neighborhoods of current clients.

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Yes, but my price is higher.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

"I am sorry, but I don't don't do one time mowings". That is usually my response. Most of the time it is not on my route and just not worth it. I might consider it if it was on my route and they had cash in hand.

Money talks!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Not usually. Not for mowing. Kills to much time I could be doing something real profitable. That is for my business setup.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We will only at a 50% higher price and within one of our normal routes...check on delivery too btw.

9. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Since we're still adding customers, we'll do one-timers. Some have become repeat customers. If you get an idea of the lot size, potential obstacles, etc. you can give a (high) quote over the phone and ask for payment to be made at the time of service.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes i do. money talks. i don't make a special trip to do the estimate, i usually tell them " i'll be in your area on wed, etc." then when i'm in the area, i stop, rape them on the price, yay or nay.