Do you bury drip lines or leave them on top?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jrumbaug, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jrumbaug

jrumbaug LawnSite Member
    from WV

I'm starting my fiirst residential irrigation project. It will be 3 zones of sprinklers and 3 zones of drip irrigation, 6 total. I run a greenhouse where I have run drip irrigation for my hanging baskets and chrysanthemums in the field, but I'm not sure what is "the prefered method" of irrigating shrubs in a residential setting.
    For som reason, I expected the drip line to be buried about four inches to deliver water to the roots, but after watching a short video it was talking about laying the drip pipe on the gound and perhaps covering it with mulch. That seems TOO easy. Is there a right and wrong, or is there pros and cons? Please, give me some insight.

Jim Rumbaugh

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We run above ground and cover with mulch. KISS

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. but stake them down. Hydraulics will make the pipes rise to the surface above the mulch or rocks if they are not.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

definatly stake em, we aim for an emitter so as not to crunch the pipe.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You can bend Netafim to a 9" circle, but if you do , use two or three circles since the
    emitters are on 12" centers.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Carefull , they do sell .9x 18"

7. jrumbaug

jrumbaug LawnSite Member
    from WV

Double WOW
    That's the fastest answers I have ever recieved.
    BIG THANKS
    I was coming back to add that I was running a drip line with built in emmitters, so you wouldn't think I was burying those snap in emmitters like a netafim system has..

I'm glad you understood, and thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before this is through.

I consider this question answered. Unless someone has a reason TO bury the pipe.......

Thanks again

Jim Rumbaugh

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Oh dont worry this thread will go on for days. End up being about travel in the Pacific northwest.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of travel, I took my family to the Snoqualmie falls yesterday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you walk a 1/2 Mile trail, you go down to the power station that is driven by the falls:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the pacific north west, I'm never leaving.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet, wish you left coast guys would post more scenic pics.