1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you buy equipment off the street?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 29, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've been approached several times by people, some obvious drunks, others everyday people. They ask if i want to buy a piece of equipment they usaully have in the trunk, or pick up bed.
    just today, this guys pulls up next to me and asks me to pull over. i'm thinking he either wants some work done (really bad??), or there's a problem with my truck. Turns out he had a used back pack blower in the back of his pick up. before i even saw it, i asked how much was he looking to get. he said "....well what do they go for used.....150 - 200?" I said, nah, i just bought an extra. He immediately replies, "alright, 50 bucks!" So i get out to look at his thing. turns out to be a beat up used homelite home depot blower. the one that's really a hand held, but mounted to straps and a piece of plastic. I told him i need commercial, and then replied (with alcohol fuming from his mouth..)"35 bucks.... come on." I finally said no thanks. I was debating as a back up, but was picturing some old guy looking around his garage at that moment for his missing blower.......
    would you have taken it, even for a backup? or do you think that encourages these guys?

Not too long ago, an old guy going into mass at my church as i was cuttingh, offered to sell me a brand new commercial blower he had in his trunk. but he wanted about 300.
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell no. That was a stolen Blower. I only buy from dealers.
  3. fga

That one had to be, but not in every case, like the church guy. he said he didn't need anything that big, and besides, with a bad back...... last thing he needed was to strap on a blower:)

he looked like the guy in your avatar..:eek:
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If you buy stuff like that you might as well skip the middle man and steal it off my truck.

I don't think I can be any plainer in my opposition to this.
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Adam, I don't know how the hell you live down there. I guess it's good for you guys to have the Yankees. You need something positive in your lives :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I AM coming down next week. I think I'll bring an extra $25, I could use a b/u blower:p
  6. fga

yeah, but they'll have to include the crappy team tax if you're the buyer, well you know that, you pay that every where you go.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i was at the racetrack one time. started talking to this guy. turns out he cut grass part time. he lost all his money, then told me he had a weedwacker in the car, do i want to buy it for $125? i looked at it, nice wacker. offered him $30. he jumped on it. other than that i've bought lots from guys going out of business, and also from a mower shop who sells the equipment if the repair bill is not paid in xxx amount of time.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

What Precion said. Might as well steal it yourself and stop by crack alley and give a crack head 50 bucks.
  9. detroitcutter

detroitcutter LawnSite Member
    from detroit

it would depend on situation, i definatly would not buy off someone thats runs up lookin like a crackhead, maybe a buisness thats shuttin down or dealers. keeps it lagit and you dont have to worry bout stolen goods
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yankees are like hemmorids. The come down then won't go back up.