Do you buy lunch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Mar 26, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I was talking to a buddy today, about employees. We were debating this......... say you pay you guy x amount of money for the day, and include lunch. After awhile, especially with a few guys, this will get exspensive. And they'll want to stop for lunch whether they are hungry or not, why wouldn't they, free lunch and 1/2 hour to sit around. My last mex would start asking for specific lunches, chinese, italian. I stop at the hot dog truck and I know he was cursing me in spanish.
    What if you didn't include lunch? I bet they'd be saying.."....... no hungry today." I always take breaks during the day anyway, i'll stop to het drinks, and i have a big water jug. Is this wrong?
    When i used to have my brother working for me, neither of us would eat lunch, very rarely. I'd rather get home a half hour earlier. you buy?

2. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, if my guys are really busting some arse, i'll buy, but if not, then i dont. Usually i do treat them once a week for lunch, sometimes twice, but thats pushing it though.

This year i'm gonna cut back on it though. I did spend alot of money on lunch for them last year and i kinda had to do without this winter. IT SUCKED TOO!!! :eek:

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Then I would learn Spanish and kick his f'in azz next time he said something. That's one perfect reason why my help all speak fluent English. My help, which coincidentally are all U.S. citizens, understand that lunch isn't part of their pay.

I'm curious as to what you pay these people that are getting lunch included with their salary?

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought the guys lunch a few times last year, maybe 10 times.I dont think we will this year as most of them start to expect it and dont act as if they appreciate it.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Is "Los Locos Hotdogo trucko" fluent spanish?

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I punched alot of time clocks thru the years, an not many of the companies bought ya lunch.. Some of the companies would spring at Thangiving, or Christmas.

I look at it like this..I am running a buisness, not a charity organization. I have sprung a few times if I made alot of money on a job, but I dont make a habit of it by any means...

Habits are hard to break, so I try to not start any...

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

That is funny! :D And, I'm not sure.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I buy ice for the cooler, and buy lunch and drinks when i feel like it.

9. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Yes I buy my man lunch.

After all he has been a good worker. Even supplies his own Husqvarna 322L trimmer and the support equipment to go with it.
    I have three Husqvarna trimmers and he would still rather use his own.

So if he is good enough to do that for me. I am going to be good enough to take care of him.

He does not expect lunch at 12:00 either. He is the one that says, "Lets get two more and then go grab a bite". Does not care where or what he eats either.

He is one of the best that I have ever worked with.
    Takes great care of the equipment without being ask. Looks for more clients on his own.

I would hard pressed to find another that can or would fill his shoes.

10. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

specialtylc,,,,,,you said a mouthful! It bugs me when some of the guys start to expect somthing when in reality they should be grateful!!I think it goes along with the thoery of, I want more, more, more.