1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you call back potential customers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Mar 6, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if you get a call on your business line, the caller ID comes up with a private house name, something you don't recognize, for example "John Doe", yet they don't leave a message. do you assume its a potential customer who was hoping to speak with you personally, and maybe call the number back? or does that come off desperate?
    normaly i would never call back in that situation. but this year i'm looking to take on as much as i can, make someting happen. i got a few calls today and yesterday, names i don't recognize. some repeat calls....
    does it come off desperate or show quality service if i were to attempt a return call regarding service?
    especially the ones i just missed by a few minutes.

let it go? keep in mind i'm trying to really grow this year. no more letting things get away from me.
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'd say no, does look kind of desperate to me. Do you have a cell?? If so leave the number for it on your office message stating that you are out of the office but can be reached on cell.
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if you ever used this, I have it as my favorite, Reverse Phone list, type the number in and it will return an address and who its listed under, I called a few people back and they freaked when I said "Hello Mr. Jones, I should be in your area this afternoon, would you like an????//You will have all the info you need, address etc..

it only works on home #, it will tell you if its a cell. :)
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I don't call back. I'm always looking for more work but I figure they would leave a message or call my cell. I list both numbers on everything.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I call back the numbers, Alot of older or elderly people here will NOT talk to an answering machine or they will start talking as soon as the message starts and when it beeps about all you get is ''thank you'' and ''bye''
  6. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

Why don't you just answer the phone when it rings. If you are wanting customers see who is calling and what they want. If you can't help them, tell them so and go on.
  7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

That is true and I do answer the phone. But if I'm not in and come home to see the caller id and see that somebody called and didn't leave a message, I don't call back. Even if it shows the number.
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Brilliant! I'll try that, and get back to you.
  9. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Our business line is always forwarded to someones cell that is going to answer if noone is in the office. If they have to leave a message for you to get the job, they are afraid what customer service is going to be like after they sign a contract with you. If the phone is answered whenever they call, they generally think you are a larger company than you may be.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do that. There are too many people calling from different number now to do it, but I got alot of older people that way. They for the most part will not leave a message, period.