Do you call your customers when it is raining

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grass Kickin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

We have had a drought here in Florida for about 2 solid years. Last week it rained 4 days straight and very little work got done. I lost two accounts, next door to each other because one guy was mad I didn't call. Apparently he convinced the other guy to switch with him. In my defense, I had my brother in law covering my accounts because I was up in NY doing a huge job. But when I went to cut yesterday, the scheduled day, someone already did it and the guy yelled at me. It wasn't even a conversation. The way he reacted it was like I stole something from him. Had I actually been here last week, I doubt I would have called any of my 60 customers to tell them I wasn't coming, it was pouring for most of the days, several days straight. It sucks I lost them because I had picked up 3 additional accounts in the last day or so but is it a realistic expectation that an LCO should call a significant amount of customers to let them know it is raining and they are not coming?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

You lose two and get five more!! Most people can figure out you are not coming when it storms.!dont sweat it

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

2 azzholes...you were losing them anyway

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I have this discussion with my customers on day 1. I also have it in my agreement. If it is raining I will not cut. If it has rained alot I will not cut for 24 hours after. I will get to you as soon as possible , not everyone can be first. You will thank me for not carving ruts into your yard. I will not call you to point out the obvious fact it is raining. When it rains 4 days in a row like last week it was a bear. The added growth is harder on the machines and me. I cut all through the weekend and finally caught up on Monday morning. Amazingly not one customer out of 85 called. I must have smart customers. They must be they hired me!:laugh: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Unless it's pouring cats & dogs, I'll be there. I'd never get caught up, it rains too frequently to play waiting games here. I have on property though that we have to skip the back 1/4 on otherwise I'll be fishing for a mower. Customer knows & understands completely as he has sunk his mower twice.

6. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

The first thing I tell them after what day I will mow is "if it rains I will be out the next day or later"

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I have one of those!!! :laugh:

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

It never hurts to call. We always keep in touch with our clients. It lets them know you care. Just you calling can take alot of stress of their minds. Its a business relationship. If your customers have email you can send them all an email at the same time. I know we send out emails about various issues throughout the year. You can let them know of various services that you now offer besides mowing.

9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I pretty much do the same. I never cut in the rain unless im already started on a lawn and it starts raining.