do you care if the customer doesnt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 1, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

do you try and make the lawn look pristine even if the customer never notices or do you rush through just to get to the next job? this is an ethical question of sorts. give me your answers.

randy.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Pretty good question. I'll do my standard on all my lawns, but for those who care about their lawn, i'll go the extra step. Those that tip (rarely) i'll make sure i show up that week even if it rains 5 out of the 6 days. I'll pick up that newspaper in the bushes, etc etc. Same can be said for those who pay on time.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

We got some high end stuff that we Dbl Cut every time and make sure it looks Top notch
    Then we got stuff that dosent matter we just cut it

4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

We always try to make every lawn look its best. People see your truck out front, and I want them to associate my name with quality workmanship.

5. lawnwizards

but what if you service 12 customers a day and none of them care? that extra 5 minutes you spend on each lawn equals an hour each day wasted.

6. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

If you gain 1 yard by doing excellent work, it more than pays for that extra time spent (not wasted). Just my opinion.

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

what if they actually do notice the extra steps you take and they just don't fuss over it... or they're not the PITA types to complain week after week but they do know that you're cutting corners and find someone else when you least expect it? Remember, they can get 'hack' quality from a lowballer and expect a hack job.

you have 12 customers that DO care. I wouldn't risk 12 cuts a day 'assuming' they don't care.

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, Sometimes if I do a lawn that is really high and the customer doesn't care, I will still bag the big stuff, I hate leaving clumps of grass everywhere

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Your question was certainly an eye opener for me, thanks, I will try harder now.

10. lawnwizards

dont get me wrong, i do care what my customer's lawns look like. i was just wondering if what it looks like makes a difference to them. you know some people are looking for "price" and dont care what quality that price pays for just aslong as its cut.