Do you change your mowing height for a customer request?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut at a healthy 3" but we have had wet weather and I have a lot of customers asking to lower the height.

Do you switch your mowing height at every stop?

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Sure......

3. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

If they request or if it looks better. thank God for floating decks!

4. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have them range 2" to 4". I keep a list of heights for every stop.

5. flex deck

flex deck LawnSite Member

Never - It is like the old "I don't want you to mow my yard in the rain!" deal. My response is "We promise to make every effort to mow your yard on Wed., and sometimes those yards we do on Tues. have to be mowed in the rain to be here for you on Wed. This week, God chose to rain on you, and to fullfill our promise to those we mow on Thurs. we are now mowing your yard in the rain.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, hell no!

7. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

Sure i do whatever they ask for..normally ill explain to them that its not really good for the grass to go more then 1/2 inch outside of what i cut it at . its no biggie for me really cause i cut so many different grasses during a day im always changing heights.. just explain to them the shorter you cut it the faster it will grow.. nobody wants to belive it but it is the way it is

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

customers, and yourself do NOT decide on the cutting level,
    weather, grass types, and the season do.

if your letting your customer tell you how to cut grass, you need to go make hamburgers.

9. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

exactly. I mow all my properties between 3 and 4 inches. Thats a good mowing practice for our area based on our lawn type. If we go any lower, the lawn will start to brown up, heavy weed development will occur, etc. I simply explain to my customers that we mow based on the lawn it self. If it grows a lot due to heavy fert/irrigation etc we are going to cut it higher becasue it will look better and the lawn will strive. Thiner lawns that dont grow a lot we will go down to 3".

Dry spells we may lower the 4" accounts to 3.5, and the 3.5 to 3 I generally wont go below 3. heavy rainy season, things get raised up a little. I have one accoutn that the lawn grows so much because the entire yard drains into the back, that we cut it at 4.75

10. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Amen..... I mow a commercial office building, nothing big or fancy. No irrigation... never any weed control or fert. just mowing.

I cut at 2.25 2.5 3.0 3.25 and 3.5 because it's all different combinations of weeds and grass. And YES..... most of it is all one continuos section of lawn... and it looks darn nice when I'm done because I am very careful to make them all blend together.

I'm sure the client never notices what I'm doing or could care in the least. But I'm proud of how nice it always looks.