Do you charge by the size of the house?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Apr 21, 2004.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Do you charge more for 20,000sq. ft. with a $250,000 house on it than for 20,000sq. ft. with a $75,000 house ? Most posts state -Know your costs - add your profit = your hourly charge. Do some charge more if the house is bigger?

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge by the size of the lot & amount of edging, of course you do have to take in to consideration the type of neighborhood and customer your dealing with. If it's an upscale neighborhood and all the lawns are very well maintained and manicured, obviously you have to charge a higher rate to compensate for the extras especially if the customer is nit picky about everything. If it's a normal lawn with no frills, I charge accordingly by the sq. footage & amount of edging.

3. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Fastlane
    It is not good business to price a job just by the looks of the house. People talk.

I had a friend that operated a HVAC bussiness in Greensboro, NC. That did just that. He would go in and charge the "rich" twice of what he would the average joe. Well the "rich" may have an average joe that worked for them and well like I said people talk. When word got around that he would charge one person $25.00 to change a filter and then turn around and charge another $50.00 for the same filter based on the size and type of house that they lived in. He lost tons of work quick. The bank did hold a nice auction when he was forced to go belly up.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think charging by the height of the customer is a better idea.

5. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I have never considered the size(value) of the house when bidding. Just size of lawn amount of obstructions, grade, access, and growth rate...Chuck

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Around here if you charged by the size of the house, you'd be out of work really quick. Most people with huge houses are so over extended, they can barely pay their monthly lawn maint. bills. The more moderate homes are the ones who have the disposable income to afford your services most of the time.

7. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I charge for my time not the size of the house. I asked because some people have stated " they had a $200,000 house and could not or would not pay x amount for their lawn. " I wondered if they were charging more for big houses?

8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be the first honest person on this thread. I tack on a couiple bucks for a huge house. I have three small yards (2 are about 4,000-5,000) sq feet. They are loaded, and one brings in 35 and the other 30. They are right next to each other, so there is no drive time, no load-unload time, and together maybe take 30-60 minutes.

I dont care how many people say that the house doesnt play a part in the bid, but i think they are lying or just damn straight business men.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The way I charge? It all depends on what kind of car they drive. When I do an estimate, and they ask how much will it be, I even answer with "What kind ofcar do you drive?"
    This usually catches them a little off guard, but with a little humor, it helps. They end up relating to it by the time it's said and done.
    In all seriousness though, yes, I DO charge more to some than others. If I have a middle class family, say - 2 kids, the man works his tail off - whether it be doing heating & cooling, construction, or whatever, and the wife works as well, yes, they are going to get it cheaper than Dr. Hootin'flootin and his Mercedes drivin' fat diamond ring wearin' wife that spens more on her HAIR in a year than customer one's wife spends on her clothes for the year. It's just a way of giving back. I tell these people that, too - when I do their services. If they think something is cheap, I just tell them. "I can do that, because I'll charge your doctor for part of it."
    They always seem to like that.