1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you charge for advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Nov 9, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm really starting to get sick of everyone I know asking me what they should do to their lawn. For the last 2-3 months it been "how do I fix the dead spots in my lawn?" or "what kinda seed and fert do you put down?" or even better "Can you pick up some seed and fert for me since you get it cheaper than I can?" Well, from now on if they want my advice they can pay for it.

This also goes for equipment. Don't ever tell any one if you have a skidsteer, areator, preasure washer, or other goodies cause they all want to borrow them.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i never lend my professional tools, especially the expensive tools. If they break it I don't want to have to say "you just bought it" or "you're paying the replacement parts + my mechanics rate" cause I sure as hell ain't doing it on my day off.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Charge for advice?
    Sure do, they're called customers.
    Every one else gets something along the lines of "we can stop over and take care of it, I'll get a price to ya or do you just wanna get it done?"

Nope, nobody uses it but us.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

customers get free advice, but if someone wants advice I charge them for it. I have done it for the last 2 years and no problems at all. I basically tell them, I can come and give you advice for which I charge, or come and give you a free estimate for which I can do the work.
  5. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Free consultation; yes you have a concern.Then the clocks starts.