Do you check the interior plumbing prior to the job?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 30, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I mean prior to quotes and all.

We did a 20 head job this week that all went smoothly until the homeowner came home finally around 4pm which i expected.

The ONLY place we could position the valvebox was the back right side of the house, left/front/back all has patio/walkways, hardscaping and gardens.

The water comes into the very front left corner :(

I get all copper parts to run to other end of the house, then find out its PVC , shiat.

Not only that, but 85% of their basement is finished, has a lot of stuff down there, makes for pita work space.

Tonight, i go back again, with every pvc fitting possible, 3/4" , 1", couplers, Tees, elbows you name it.

Cut the existing pipe i swore was only 3/4" comming into the house, its not, its 1", but 1" EXTERIOR dia. Everything schedule 40 is measured by the interior flow opening :/

Now ive done electrical work, plumbing with pvc, copper you name it. Ive never yet seen this cpvc besides at a home depot.

So now that their water line is cut open, i run to the store, they have nothing 1" or larger... I found 1" coupler slip fittings i could use temporarily.

Install them, turn on water, blows off in 2 minutes :/ Do it again, same deal.

I put a 2nd one on, so now there are two of these pieces in line with a pipe thats 5" long in between, works for 4 minutes, bows out, blows off. Poor freking people, left em with no water for tonight.

This whole situation has turned into a huge mess because of something so simple, i need to get fittings and valve control to go from this 1" cpvc to normal pvc pipe so i can finally hook up the new irrigation system.

2. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

Holy crap! ! That's freaking crazy. I've had days where everything seemed to go wrong.
    I do check my tie in point (house water supply) usually from the meter to see what size pipe I'm dealing with ahead of time. I run 1" sch 20 for the system. So I usually get an extend-a-coupling and bushings or whatever I need to make the tie-in. I've had to tie in to copper only once though and that was a big learning experience. But I don't know if I've ever seen 1" CPVC. I thought CPVC was for Hot water only?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen CPVC in a bunch of homes. Not very often though. On the few trailer homes, it had been CPVC. You might have been able to use a compression fitting for temp repair, but I'm not an expert on suing that pipe.

Yes I ALWAYS checked interior before giving a a bid. I've turned down installs due to home being 100% finished, and no way to plumb out without damaging drywall.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

CPVC is getting more popular as the price of copper goes up. One we did yesterday was new construction , tie in was done by the plumber who plumbed the house.Lucky for me he also did the PVB.
    Always have to look beforehand, that can be the worst part of the job on some sites.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Look before you leap!!

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Number 1 rule of Irrigation Club:

Check and verify POC

Number 2 rule of Irrigation Club

Check and verify POC

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A good waterworks-quality compression fitting(s) could handle any POC - get them where you shop for fire hydrants.

8. DITTO.... Tie ins can be a huge variable. Gotta know just to bid it properly.

9. CPVC glue may or may not be different than the glue you are attempting to use....

I really have a hard time believing that a PRO would find himself in this situation...no offense intended, but those poor homeowners have been shortchanged....in 19 years of irrigation, I never left a house w/out water...ever.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

One of my mentors once told me, "as goes the tie-in, goes the whole job."