Do you clean up lawns for free?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiremanDud, Dec 8, 2005.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I was just wondering do you guys pick up trash, sticks, and debris from your yards for free or do you just do it from the kindness of your hearts?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No, your time has to be worth something, which = $$$'s. Charge for additional services that the customer needs done, such as cleanups, debris removal etc.
    If you get new carpeting installed in your house, and the installer has to rip up and haul away the old carpeting, he will indeed charge for doing that. Same with lawn service, if you have to remove things off the lawn before you can mow, you should be charging for it.

3. uspw

uspw LawnSite Member

This is true Major, however, in my mind, picking up a few pieces of trash (not barrel fulls:rolleyes: ), just proves to the customer that you care about the way the prop looks. I wouldn't go aroung combing the grass and beds for trash, but if you could pick up the occasional Dunkin cup, it really isn't a big deal.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is correct if it is just a cup or a few pieces of trash you should just pick it up.But if You pick up a few cups and pieces of trash every week throughout the mowing season...that adds up.You should have a fee for doing that added into your job price.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with that, and anything of real size pick it up or youll picking it out of your mower later!!

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Totally agree. If there are a couple of sticks or a couple of pieces of trash I would be more than happy to pick it up. The quality of the look of the lawn reflects on my business. However, if a clean up is required or there is a lot of debris that is a different story completely.

I don't think that Jodi was referring to a coffee cup or two, but can agree with your time is money. To often LCO's will do things, because they don't believe they are worth the money. I strongly believe in going the extra mile, but not to the point of hurting my business over it.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You are correct, I wasn't referring to a coffe cup or soda can.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If its just a few limbs or trash dont mind it. But if its a lot thats a different story. I have lost quite a few lawns over the limb problem (about 20%) because folks did not want to pay extra. Im talking about 1-3 hours of extra work after high winds or a bad storm. My first couple of years I did it for free but no more!

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My contract includes -"will pick up casual debris" So we are going to pick it up but it is being payed for as I have figured it into the price. We will also pick up the one or two tree limbs that fall but storm damage will be payed for as an add on.
    Heck, this was one of the first things I learned on this site. No free work, I think I read that from some guy named Bobby?:D

10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

One of the reasons I do my trimming first is so I can open gates, move items in the yard or pick up debris. If it involves more than a kick out of the way I will usually tack on a charge of a buck or two to get my point across.