1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you commute to work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently work from my house as a home base. We're right in (near) the city with ample storage space and located right in the middle of our 400+ customers (very convienient).
    The problem is - neighborhood is good (now) - but the riff rafff is creeping this way (quickly). So, we put the house up for sale (and sold it). Now we've got to find a place to LIVE! I can store equipment in the area and still work from around here easily enough. However, the area that we really want to live in is about a 40 mile/45 minute commute one way.
    I know I was spoiled before - but does anyone commute to work like this? If so, what have been you're experiences with running the operation like this?
    I hope to develop a new customer base in the area that we're looking to move into. It's very rural now - but the subdivisions are popping up like crazy (as most others exit the near burbs like me). Any advice / experiences are greatly appreciated - I'm more that a little anxious about moving so far away from my current customer base.
  2. No big deal you just have 80 minutes longer at work each day.

I used to drive 1/2 hour to the shop, now I am minutes away.

If the phone goes to long distance then get a 1-800 number, othewise business as uaual.

You just can't stop at home for a quick whatever, and you have to route your self a little better.
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Sounds like you are inexactly the same place I was a year and a half ago. It requires a bit more planning for sure, and there are some small logistical problems, but for me it was well worth it. My drive is 45 min to 1 hr, and it does make for a long day, but the drive is country for the most part and give me time to think and wind down. When the snow comes it is more of a problem, but it sounds like you probably have multiple crews, and maybe your workers could make dealing with the snow easier. My problem is, this past winter my customers got about 6" of snow, and I got none :eek:. The weather maps "which will become your close friend" are not always accurate. In any event, it is all worth it to me to have some land, no neighbors, and a safe place for my family to enjoy.

4. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

with 400 lawns you probaly dont do the labor part or do you.
    if its just you it wouldnt be that bad like lgf said 1hour 20min per day but with employees that would eat a lot of profit .
  5. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I live about 35 miles out and drive it every day to get to my lawns. over time you will get use to it.
  6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked out of my house, I had a 15 to 20 foot commute every morning down the hall. Convenient, never had to worry about traffic.

Now that I live 15 to 20 minutes from work, I love it. Time to wind down. It was convenient before, but I find I'm more productive now at work since I come to work to work. Before I was mixing my personal and business life into each other way too much.