Do you consider being an LCO owner (stressful)

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Jan 25, 2012.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like all sorts of people these days are stressed out with their jobs. I know there are many jobs than can stress you out pretty bad. I personelly think what really stress me out in this line of work is (rain)in the summer. I hate working around it and getting behind. Especially when it starts out in the early morning . Do you think being an LCO can stress you out? What really stresses you out during the day?
  2. Overall this business doesn't stress me out. I do get annoyed when rain gets me behind, but that is something out of my control. I don't have that many accounts where a day of rain puts me so behind.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I became an independent operator to not be stressed. It usually works out quite well. The weather does not bother me. It is the whiny people who wonder why I am not out spraying their lawn in 30 and 40 MPH winds. However, after so many warnings, those people are fired.
  4. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Stress comes from different things.

Lack of snow in the winter.

Too much rain in the summer, (get behind).
    Not enough rain.

And last but not least................. tax time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have stress everyday, some days little, some days big, but there's nothing more relaxing and soothing then hopping on the mower for an hour or 2 straight....
  6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

No more than normal.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Stress, both good and bad, is a fact of life. Some things we can control, some things we can't. Does no good to get all worked up over things we have no control over. Most days during the season I'm too tired to be stressed.
  8. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

There's always some stress but not as bad as a "regular" paycheck job. The lack of control over your life is the kind of stress that I cant handle, or think is worth. The day to day stress of running your own business is much more manageable to me.
  9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

The entire goal of being a self-employed business owner is to be a problem solver. If you approach each day hoping that something bad won't happen so that you won't be stressed, you are setting yourself up for stress.

If you go into work knowing that there will be issues and that YOU are the one who has the privilege of fixing them, your life will feel a lot easier. Crap is gonna happen, regardless, but it's how you respond to it that dictates your stress level.
  10. superintendent

superintendent LawnSite Senior Member

There is stress come summer when you need to spray and it's to hot but you must do it and for the next day or so you hope all went well. But this job is no way near the stress of being a golf course superintendent in the transition zone with bentgrass greens. You want stress that is the job to have