Do you consider youself skilled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I think it requires common sense and basic mechanical aptitude. I'm willing to concede that a lot of people lack these things...namely employees who have no skin in the game.

2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Its similar to that around here, most lco's do a pretty good job, but there are some that will miss spots trimming, even mowing, and i find it hard considering they have 3 guys per lawn compared to my 2. but skimping on trimming is a popular one around me, i don't care to skimp on trimming, because i think that will make or break a lawn, the stripes don't matter as much as good trimming and not having any clumps.

3. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty much. :drinkup:

4. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

speaking of trimming: A potential customer once told me that they want their sidewalk edged with an edger, and i told her that i don't have one. :dancing: No complaints from customers, just from this one who declined my service.

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

You can pick up a new stick edger for about $350. you can get a good used one for around $150. May be worth the investment for ya. It really does look a lot better when its done with an edger. Takes less time too.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

The one's who think there is no skill involved usually list their business for sale on CL after 2 months Thumbs Up

7. CreativeLawncareSolutions

These types of comments just don't make any sense to me. They serve no purpose. Who are you posturing for? I don't get it.

8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

It's mostly hard work which alot of people refuse to do, and it's hard work in weather extremes which most other jobs don't see. Skill wise my kids when they were 10 yrs old (I won't say younger) we able to cut with a hustler 340, that's a 72" cut 4 cylinder diesel and do a great job.

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm not posturing, I'm stating the obvious. Not all of us brag how are customers don't care about the quality of the services we provide :clapping:

Some of us care about our reputation and the time it takes to develop the various skill sets to do this job safely and productively. I can run equipment, set grade, drive a CMV, do concrete flatwork/stamping etc..... don't tell me there is NO skill involved in this trade, you're comments make you sound naive and uninformed of the industry you work in ;)

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

That might be that way in your area but I would say that is not the norm.

Almost anyone can RUN a ZTR, trimmer and edger

But not near as many can OPERATE then.