Do you consider youself skilled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see how my comments reflect that image at all. Not to anyone with sense, at least.

I also never said there was no skill involved in concrete work. There obviously is. I did say there is minimal skills required for lawn maintenance. The point I'm trying to make is that I think too many people worry about that while their customers wouldn't even give it a second thought. That's a lot of wasted time and anguish worrying over something that matters very little. I said the machines in the lawn maintenance are what makes the quality...and nothing anyone says will change my mind. It's just a fact.

Concrete work, carpentry, hardscaping, etc...that's a different subject all together. You must have the necessary skills to succeed in those areas. No question about that. Lawn maintenance, though? Nah. That's cake work. We're getting the makiority of the work because people do not want to do it or do not have the time or physical capabilities to do it. We're not grass whisperers. We do not point mowers in a straight line better than others. We're just there...at the right place at the right time. Nothing more.

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I fail to see the difference between run and operate. Can you explain it to me?

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

This is what I was referring to :waving:

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

My 11 year old nephew can ride my exmark around all day and RUN it, but he cannot OPERATE in the fashion of being both efficient, and safely on a lawn without tearing it up. Anybody can go buy a ZTR and pull it off the trailer and mow, but you need to want to do a good job, most around here dont care, and their work shows it

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I still fail to see what your point is. You're not making any sense.

Point the mower in a straight line. Blow off the driveway, porches and walks. Don't scalp the yard with the trimmer. Run an edger in a straight line and don't write your initials in their yard with it. These things aren't hard to do. Will the customer even notice? Most won't. Most won't even care as long as it's not too obvious. Does this mean you don;t care about quality if the customer doesn't care? Not at all. The 2 are completely separate.

See my signature? Beautiful, right? Took 10 minutes to learn how to operate that mower correctly. The mower does all the work. I just point it in a straight line.

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

If you're saying most LCO's don't care then I find that really hard to believe. In fact...I just don't believe it. Maybe there's a huge difference between Connecticut and Ohio....it's possible. I seriously doubt it, though.

7. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

like I said earlier this thread should be divided between people who only mow and people who do landscaping. I think it's the skill level for mowing that's in question.

8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the help I was getting back then was bad, but my kids striped and double cut when needed better that my employees. As far as pruning and mulching and clean ups there is skill needed if you want a good job done. Just by drive by"s I can spot a bad mulch job.

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I believe I stated that several times too. Lot's of ego and hubris on this site.

I'm positive 99.9% of people can't build a deck like me. That takes skill. Mowing a lawn doesn't. There's a huge difference between the 2 things.

10. zachj265

zachj265 LawnSite Member

50% of small businesses are out of business by their second year. Those who continue to operate a business while making a profit are in my opinion "skilled".
    Posted via Mobile Device