Do you consider youself skilled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Operating a Z takes skill, just like any other piece of equipment you have to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the machine. Anyone who says there is no skill whatsoever should take someone off the street and let them have at it with their machine on one of their customers lawns.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And why didn't you go and buy an edger? If you're going to be in this business you need to have every tool that is required. If you want to be the cream of the crop, you have to be able to grant every and any request that a lawn customer may ask. You treated that customer like they were a freak instead of realizing that they were just asking you to step up your game. Obviously, the edging that you're doing with a trimmer isn't good enough.

And since I'm here.... Most guys that do stripes are doing crap. They're crooked. They're uneven. They're more just tire tracks than anything else. And it's about 95% of the "stripes" I see posted here at Lawnsite. :laugh:

3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

And the most profitable mowing business I've ever heard of on this site used S-10's and 21's with employees who didn't speak English. They were great business people. Quality of cut was of absolutely no concern to their customers. They realized this and capitalized on it.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

So I can put you on any type mower and you can operate it in 10 minutes?

I would have to see a larger and more detailed picture before I can call that lawn beautiful. Not saying it is not but there is more to it than straight lines.

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

Maybe I'm special? haha

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

At least we agree on that :drinkup:

7. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I disagree with this to a certain extent. Sure anybody can get a mower, heck a homeowner can get a mower and cut their yard but is it going to come out neat and clean? ... probably not. Does your average homeowner/person know the difference between when the lawn looks profesionally done...again probably not

As someone said landscaping and mowing are completely different. I agree to that. I see some of you guys landscaping work, and that does take skill. There is no way i could any of that b/c I don't have the skills or knowledge to do that. Arranging plants and flower beds is something your average person can do but wether its going to come out beautiful or not is based on skill.

And I'm not really sure what you building a deck has to do with anything in the discussion.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Here I see a lot of LCO don't care they are there for the $$$ that's it
    They don't care about the Lawn If they did they wouldn't run in the same track every week I ask one guy why does mow it in the same track each week He said its to rough going across his stripes

Then there another LCO that mows 10 acres with a scag 2 speed mower He mows in high gear he runs a striper roller and few days later the grass he didn't cut will stand up its always the middle blade not cutting

I ask him if he knew he wasn't making a clean cut He said stripes looks good all he cared about

There one LCO that edges with a trimmer I ask him why he dont use the edger he packs around. He told me that thing doesnt even run He said its for looks All I could do :laugh:

That not just here either The year I went Expo in Louiville Ky Stayed at hotel and there guy there edging with a trimmer and look like 2'' of dirt showing It look really bad Then I notice a lot places look like that down there

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

A deck is a hardscape. This was brought up as a comparison.

10. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Ahhh ok gotcha