1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you consider youself skilled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure if I inserted these images correctly....
  2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO it takes skill to do anything well. I know guys that can build decks and hardscapes well but cant mow worth crap and vice versa. It takes skill to be good at your trade no matter what it is.

An electrician will say a carpenter is unskilled, a plumber will say an electrician is unskilled, an engineer will say anything that involves manual labor is unskilled. Theres no right or wrong.

My customers do care about quality. I consider myself skilled at what I do well. Being professional is what separates the men from the boys in my market.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I have built a few decks, done much detailed tile and finish carpentry work, plumbing, electric, and am able to fix just about any piece of equipment. I even built my 4000 sq ft. custom home with the help of a couple of friends.

All this, I do not consider to have anything to do with landscaping and I call myself a "Landscaper" and am proud of it. Mowing a lawn is only service in landscaping. If you only mow lawns then your a "grass cutter", not a "landscaper". I have 20 men working for me, some are just grass cutters and others are what I call landscapers. The skill level is reflected in thier pay.

In doing all these things, building decks is not difficult. That's one of those projects that are usually, left to homeowners. I would at times build decks for friends on a weekend, for some burgers and beers.
  4. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

6. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't sure if 47% being a third was a joke or not, so i left it alone.
  7. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys are all over the place with this thread!lol Entertainment in February is always a good thing. I don't consider deck-building hardscape-it's carpentry. But yes, it takes some skill. Carry on!
  9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ill just add my 2 cents, because thats all I can add.

To operate my SOLO business requires all of the following or I could not stay in business;;;;

I have to be a truck mechanic.

I have to be a small engine mechanic.

I have to be a tool sharpner.

I have to be a plummer.

I have to be a welder.

I have to be a salesman.

I have to be a bookkeeper.

I have to be a secetary.

The whole point being operating a lawncare business is a whole lot more than pushing a lawnmower. Some call it unskilled but anyone working for the "man" would trade places with all of us if they were able too.
  10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

100% correct. It takes a skill SET to operate this or any business.
    Posted via Mobile Device