Do you consider?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Dec 25, 2006.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

risk, soil types, existing power locations, surface rooted trees, obstacles such as hardscapes and how close you can park your vehicle to the work area, client's personality etc. before arriving at a price to install a system?
    Or do none or more of these factors enter into your equation?

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

This is always a good topic. Those that do not take all of these things into consideration when creating there proposals are doomed to fail. These are the guys working out of there old trucks and are gone in months. Any thing that contributes or lessens the cost of the project must be taken into consideration.

3. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

I like to call them the intangibles. Secondary considerations but considerations just the same and must be accounted for

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

while some things cant be seen or planned for I am noticng the more experience I get the more intellegently I can bid projects.

This just doesnt have to do with lighting but has to do with any aspecs of contracting. For instance we bid a job and I did check the ground by sticking a shovel in it first. 90% of the wire was run in beds but we came to find out one area used to be large rock and was just mulched over. It added a day to this project and had we seen it we for sure would of had a bit higher bid and would of informed the client about why and what this extra price is for.

I think its silly to not consider the factors Mike listed among a few other things including excessive lenghts of wire or excessive runs do to fixture placement.

If you have to go up extra high in a tree you should be compensated accordingly as well... Bores... Punches...Having to go around pools Anything that takes you more time or increases the difficulty should be considered.

Again this applies to any aspect of contracting not just lighting.