Do you "cool down" your equipment?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by excav8ter, Jul 1, 2013.

1. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i have a 25 year old guy working for me this year, running my Kobelco sr35, Taki TL130 and a 650J.....he NEVER lets stuff cool down just stops and turns of the key with no cool down time at all....sometimes I start a piece, and the throttle is still wide open. He has been operating for about 6 years, and is amazing in the TL 130 and the dozer, but this bugs the he** out of me. I have always been taught to let the equipment cool down for a few minutes before shutting it off. Especially with turbo charged equipment.
    I always give my iron time to warm up and cool down....

Thoughts?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Indont so the cool down but at a minimum you need to drop the throttle
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Shutting it off with it throttled up is a big pet peeve of mine... I've never thought about the cooling down part tho..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

I do the same as you even in the summer months I try to let them warm up . I even let my gas stuff cool a little before a shut it down.

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I let everything cool down and expect anyone using my equipment to do the same.

6. poncho62

poncho62 LawnSite Member

I shut the throttle down for a few seconds and shut it off....My thought on cool down, idling it, the fan is not running as fast, so its not going to cool it down anyways

7. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

I was taught that diesel engines need to run at idle, or just above idle for a couple minutes....it bugs me when stuf doesn't get warmed up and cooled down properly. But, I have heard that the new tier 4 iron doesn't require much cool down, something to do with the new emisions and DPF.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think gas engines matter that much, it can't hurt, but Diesel engines really do benefit from some cool down time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

naturally aspirated engines can be shut off at higher rpm without much negative consequences. It's the turbo that needs proper cool down for longevity sake.

10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

In short yes... especially on turbo or if I've been working the machine real hard. A few minutes to equalize the temps will help engine life..