Do you cut your neighbors lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scapegoat, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

How many of you mow for your neighbors (on the same street or subdivision?) I mean for profit, just like any other customer. Good or bad idea? I'm thinking it's a horrible idea.

2. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i feel differently about it being a bad idea. between me and my dad, we have 7 neighbors on my street alone. it works out great: no drive time, no loading up equipment after each lawn, and always get paid on time. for some people it might not be great if you don't know all of your neighbors. my dad is one of those people who is friendly with anyone and everyone, and the rest of the neighborhood is like that. for me, its perfect doing neighbors lawns.

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I do some within a 2-5 block radius. I got them as referals, when their previous lco went out of business (he just stopped coming to mow). I wouldn't have solicited them, anymore than I would my own family members. Familys (neighbors and friends) and business just don't (IMHO) mix.

Jim

4. The Tank

The Tank LawnSite Member

I do my next door neighbor and it works out well. Every time I do mine I do theirs. It's like getting paid to do my own yard.

5. Lawnaholic

Lawnaholic LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I do lawncare for 4 of my neighbors on my same block. When I do my yard, I do theirs. Easiest and Fastest $100 I make on my route.

6. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I do 2 on our street. They are priced like any others, no discount. Its nice that they are close by, we just do them last on the way back to the shop at the end of the day.

7. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I cut ten houses on my block 1/2 to 3/4 acre yards. 30 dollars each and I get them done in 4 hours. Like someone else stated no drive time, and I get to look at great yards all the time. I look out any window of my house and I see a yard I take care of. If your work is up to par and you are consistent it works out perfectly. If not, I wouldn't want all those dirty looks constantly. My neighbors are my BEST customers

8. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

i will not do my neighbors for money ,i don't want to piss them off if I'm too busy. i do my next door neighbors for free ,when I'm too busy he cuts mine.don't laugh sometimes I'm so busy my wife cuts the lawn.my customers always come first...

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I cut 2 of my next-door neighbors, 4 on my block and 26 of my 30 customers are within a 2 mile drive from my home.

10. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Every single one of my customers lives in my subdivision and one is next door but there all cool with it and Im yet to have a problem.