do you dicipline your customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if a customer gets out of line, or mouthy/disrespectful, or is late on payments, do you dicipline them? for example, if a customer calls in a frivilous complaint, the following week, i'll shoot some grass into thier fresh mulch bed, or even skip them that week. another example, i took over this guys fertilizing, the place was a wreck, i told the client it will take at least 2 yrs to get it right. a month into it, i'm there spot spraying weeds, and he's following me around complaining, pointing to every weed, running his yapper, etc. i didn't like it, so now, i just drive by every day and wave, as the chinch bugs are eating the hell out of his lawn, he keeps calling, and calling, and calling, i just drive by, beep and wave. who's that guy who wants to buy a can of chinch bugs? i know where u can catch a bucketful, and they are big too. do you discipline your clients when they do wrong? you gotta treat em like children sometimes

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone pulls bull*** with me i will be a ******* right back.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

hahahaha

im interested in appointing you to senior VP of my massive corporation, bobby. you got a lot of interesting, yet good, insightful points. do you ever shoot the 'cheap amatuer' competition with a paintball gun while you drive by. i had a kid last year... decent worker as long as you didnt take your eyes off him. to keep him moving on big yards i carried my paintball gun on my mower. never shot him... but he kept moving.

4. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Seriously Bobby , Not To Start A Big Thing But How Can You Be Like This And Still Make A Living? Where In Nj Do You Work? Dont Post The Town Or Your Co Name Just Give Me The County . I Know Most People In Jersey And In Eastern Pa Have A Lot Of Attitude And Would Probably Take A Swing At You Or Sue You For Doing All The Things You Say You Do .
    I Can Be Pretty Tempermental Myself But I Never Let The Customer See It. I Do My Job To Spec Every Time. I Treat The Customer With Courtesy Even When They Dont Deserve It. I Will Never Do AN Application With A Customer In The Spray Area As That Is A Lawsuit Waiting To Happen.
    Worse Comes To Worse I Get Paid For My Last App And I Send Them A Nicely Worded But Firm Cancellation Letter. I Photo-catoloug Every Lawn ,when They Start And After The First Year , Especially If They Are A Pita , Something Serious Happens, Or I Do Major Renovation For Them . THEN WHEN THEY START TELLING LAWN CARE STORIES I HAVE EM BY THE SHORT N CURLIES. :rolleyes:

Pitas Are All Are Cancelled At The End Of That Season, You Dont Make Money On Them Anyway.

5. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I would seriously kick some of you guys ass's for doing some of the **** you pull. Painball gun? You had better of had ball bearings in it If I was working for you guys, I just don't get it, how the hell do you succeed? I mean this is business, be an ass all you want, but if a employee, cause that is what you are to them, tried to discipline me... Welling getting fired would be the least of his problems. :)

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

that's what YOU ARE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, i, am not employed by anyone. i am an independent contractor. god bless america

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

my boss is an a******!
    hehe :realmad:

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I just tell them the way it is. I let them tell me what they want and for the most part it is done my way.

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

This is why I moved away from the Northeast. I can't think of even one customer, past or present even close to that. Sounds like a lot of drama in your life bobby. Must be those Jersey tolls! :rolleyes:

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Yes I have and yes I do....I had one guy who was bad about late pays. I quit mowing his yard and when it was finally a** high, he called me...I said I'd mow it as soon as I got a check..then I charged him extra for a cleanup. Another guy (elderly man) started being gripey and rude...always had something snotty to say, like "you were just here last week, this is costing me a fortune" or "are you gonna get that place you missed!" I finally quit showing up....he calls but I dont answer.