Do You Do a Perimiter Cut Before or After Mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

Always after.

Also unless your trying to stripe to impress its usually faster not to full circle around landscaping or trees that may be in your path.

Argue Amongst Yourselves.

oh yea obviously im talking fenced not fields.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes I do a perminter cut with the Snapper 21, this gets the tires of the mower off last weeks tires spots,,,inotherwords avoids rutting.
    The only time I go in circules is if Im bagging or mulching leaves

3. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

Before. I have always done it this way but with mowers that have a big "rear end" like walkers having a 4 to 5 foot visual reminder helps keep the grass catcher from bashing into fences, etc.

4. Turf Tracer

yea, i like after because i can see if anything was missed during the mow.

5. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

I do that while I walk around blowing all of the down spouts, A/C pads, rock edging, etc.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill actually go around the perimeter twice first in most cases. Keep the clippings outta the mulch and stuff.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i always do 2-3 runs all the way around the perimeter blowing the clippings into the yard away from fences, driveways, sidewalks, and the road....(my mower discharges clippings up to 3 rows away)....and then i do rows back and forth....if the grass is really tall after i do the perimeter runs i make squares so i'm discharging all clippings outward (away from the uncut grass) to keep from bogging down too much.

8. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I need two to turn the mower around comfortably with the bagger on. Also with out the bagger it can shoot 2-3 passes over

9. Turf Tracer

yea, one more reason a mulch kit is faster. dont have to worry about throwing clippings into beds.

usually 1 perimiter cut will get everything the zero turning missed

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

Yes i do 3 rows to keep any clippings from being blown onto the driveways, sidewalks, roads, and next to the fences. It makes it easier to cleanup afterwards with the blower.