1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you do repairs when you winterize ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

True, it gets spendy for the newbie client to call for a winterize AFTER the compressor has been winterized and put to bed, also. payup
  2. Mike Leary

So? You're still screwing up the schedule, especially if you've got hand-wringing HOs waiting for you 'cause you told them 10.00am. :cry:
  3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I should have charged extra.. I charged repair time/ parts and then seperately for winterizing.

It did screw my schedule up but not too bad.
  4. Mike Leary

That's all I meant, Mitch. Some "hands on" clients can be a royal p.i.t.b. if you don't show at "exactly" the right time. :hammerhead:
    My guys got so far behind one day, that they worked into the dark and managed to trip a silent alarm at an absentee client. Next thing they heard was, "freeze, turkey" from the cops. :dizzy:
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Some people will freak out about it.. but most are pretty cool. We try and call all the clients if with early/ late. Even 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes I'm so caught up in the moment of the job I'm at I don't / loose track of time.

If I'm getting extremely late I'll re-work my schedule.. It's better to call up one person and ask them to re-schedule tell later on in the day... another day and have them Pissed then have 10 clients pissed for me being late to everyone

I'm sick today.. First day I called in this year.. Luckily were only at 3 trucks right now so another lead can take over my route
  6. Mike Leary

Start planning a trip south to dry out. Hope you feel better. :)
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I NEVER tell them an exact time. I give a one hour time window that we will show up within. I can't say if one job will take exactly 23 minutes, and then the next job 44 minutes, and then the next 37 minutes. Customers can talk and take up my time, need a pit stop for the restroom, vehicle issues, etc.
  8. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

Winterize only...make note of repairs needed and added to spring start up.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I give a closer window in the morning , as the day rolls on I check messages and will add others that are close to my location , or I have neighbors ask if I can do theirs while I am right there , I usually pick up 3 to 4 new ones every week
  10. Mike Leary

Ditto, you got some expensive metal being towed around and attention should be paid to problems, but repairs not on this milk run, Bob.