Do you do repairs when you winterize ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 12, 2011.

1. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely not, name of the game is winterize and move on - make a list and work on when slow in winter..

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I usually tell the customer that there's no need to fix it now, as it may get broken during the winter - snow plow, snow blower, shovel, whatever.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

That changes their mind real quick.

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I can't believe you guys would not make simple repairs to keep water from getting back in. If you repair it later ground water has probably already filled the pipe.
    I've replaced pipe from freeze damage, some 20 -40 ft long from idiots that don't know what their doing.
    I do my best to make sure the system is blown out and no ground water can enter.
    Half the time I spend winterizing is waiting. It's no big deal to replace a nozzle, busted head or even repair a pipe break. Charge extra but do it before you need to blow it again.

5. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

I repair when I winterize 90% of the time. Today I only did 6 yards and 1 yard (neighbor) I did not fix the head...Do it in the spring when I startup...

The complete sys was blown out so it was not needed right now.

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I just dont have the time

Winterizing starting 7am and ending at 5pm with averagely 30 minutes per house depending on the size that's 20 houses per day. Could me more could be less

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

For what? A train, plane or Godot? :dizzy:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

a good five cent cigar

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There is a sculpture in Seattle dedicated to people who wait.

2333502441_de425c816a.jpg